Air Bubbles in a Planted Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I assume you mean a bubbler for aeration? If you are NOT injecting CO2, then a bubble has very little impact on a planted tank, and if anything helps restore CO2 levels in the tank, although this is largely a trivial effect.

I'm using a co2 booster liquid a lot if the planted tanks I've seen have no aeration

The liquid "CO2 boosters" are not actually CO2, but rather a carbon alternative to CO2 that works in a similar fashion. They will not leave your tank because of aeration.

One of the reasons that you might not see much aeration in planted tanks is that many people simply do not the look of bubblers in their tank. It may be because they are trying to make the tank look as natural as possible as well.

Also, many tanks inject CO2, and a bubbler will rapidly deplete the water of CO2.

In addition, filters alone provide enough aeration/water movement for fish to survive. Unless they are at the surface gasping, air stones aren't really needed.

How long will it take to see if the fish have enough oxygen. I have 2 40-60 gal filters and about 20 plants in a 55 gal tank

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20120605_233216.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120605_233216.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 179
My guess is you should be OK with the current filters your running; especially since you have 2.

Air Bubbles & Planted Tanks

Are air bubbles good for planted tanks

Hello brandon...

If you want to add a small airstone to the tank, because you like the bubble effect, then one is fine. Don't add too many, because they'll put a lot of oxygen into the tank water. Aquatic plants don't do well in water with high oxygen. Remember, oxygen is a plant waste product.

Just a thought.

B

If you have a betta in there, you don't really need an bubbler period. Bettas breath from the surface. Just filter and heat your tank and it will be fine. But if you like the look of the little bubbles, then go ahead, be my guest.

There's no betas just 1 black knife 2 brown knife 2 guramis and an albino Cory cat its a 55 gal I want more fish to

BBradbury said:
Hello brandon...

If you want to add a small airstone to the tank, because you like the bubble effect, then one is fine. Don't add too many, because they'll put a lot of oxygen into the tank water. Aquatic plants don't do well in water with high oxygen. Remember, oxygen is a plant waste product.

Just a thought.

B

Plants use oxygen same as we do: for metabolism pf sugars for energy. High oxygen levels will do nothing but help plants.

from what i have read plants use the CO2 duringthe day and O2 at night but i think with what you have you should be fine without a bubblier

Next question with all the plants I have would it be a good investment to purchase a co2 injection kit

oh lol sorry I thought you said something about a betta...wow...I now know I've gone crazy lol.

Back
Top Bottom