air bubbles on algae?...whats the deal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mbeef61

Aquarium Advice Regular
i have little air bubbles growing out of my algae....its coming from the algae on the rocks, the glass, and the macro...cuz its all in a fuge...could this just be the gas exchange or is it some certain kind of algae? Everything is fine with water this just happens from time to time...i was wondering if something would control it...maybe emerald crab?

Is it bubbles in the algae or is it bubble algae? Two different things. One good, one bad.

well its creating Oxygen, its a good thing... the algae on the other hand isnt :) lol

The plant (algae both macro and micro) is doing its job, its converting CO2 into O2 and growing bigger as a result, it will be good for your tank, it will help your O2 levels go up.

It will help the tank out, However a good skimmer keeps O2 levels in check anyway, so with that said, you should still wipe the algae off your glass before it takes over (and once it does, its hard to get rid of... believe me... I know!)

BubbleAlgaeRough2.jpg
This is the stuff that electrikat mentioned... this is the really bad stuff....! Emerald crabs will get rid of it.

no its not that...thats what i thought it was when i heard "Bubble Algae" but its not its air bubbles coming out of the algae....its just looks strange. they go away if i go stir stuff up but thats awkward...

yeah they Oxygen is being released from the algae, but it is getting trapped in the algae around it. Usually the air bubble will float off when it gets big enough.

Dont worry about it, its fine, it wont hurt your aquarium... the algae on the other hand might be a nusiance.

One other thing it might be is if your getting micro-bubbles into the tank they will attach to the algae and look like the algae is creating bubbles...HTH

Oh those bubbles covered in algae are bad? What's wrong with them and how do I get rid of them?

bam thats it...my pump was low lately and that would explain why it happends every now and then...when it gets low in the sump the pump adds a ton of air bubbles...i bet thats it...thanks.

bam thats it...my pump was low lately and that would explain why it happends every now and then...when it gets low in the sump the pump adds a ton of air bubbles...i bet thats it...thanks.
glad to help... even thought I didnt actually find the cause so really what I mean is good job gooyferret!

Oh those bubbles covered in algae are bad? What's wrong with them and how do I get rid of them?
theyre not necessarily bad... but a nusiance is more like it, just like all algae they can end up making a great tank look horrible (some people like them :roll: ... I HATE THEM! :twisted: ) Emerald Crabs eat them :) they will do a good job getting rid of them. Its more of a personal preference.

-max

Back
Top Bottom