Air pump in 160L fish tank???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mondo

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey people! I am wondering is it necessary to have an air pump in a 160L fish tank. I've recently bought a new one, put it through a 4 week cycle and have now put fish in it. I've noticed a few of them regularly go to the service for air. Do you think I need to get one? Cheers :)

Moved to FW and Brackish- General Discussion.

Welcome! You most likely do not need an air pump.

It depends on the filter you have. Most filters create enough surface agitation to aerate the water so you may or may not need an air pump.

What filter are you using and what critters are in the tank?

You should not NEED an air pump. I do recommend one in every freshwater tank though. Although the filter should provide enough aeration, equipment fails. The last thing you want to do is come home to a tank of dead fish because for one of many reasons the filter stopped running (impeller broke, clogged, filter lost prime, motor failed, etc.).

Fishguy2727 said:
You should not NEED an air pump. I do recommend one in every freshwater tank though. Although the filter should provide enough aeration, equipment fails. The last thing you want to do is come home to a tank of dead fish because for one of many reasons the filter stopped running (impeller broke, clogged, filter lost prime, motor failed, etc.).

That is the advantage to internal filters, if something happens all the media is still in water so the bb stay alive and hopefully still convert ammonia and nitrite

That isn't the point. If a filter is providing all the aeration and it stops the lack of aeration can kill in as few as a couple hours. I have seen tanks saved over and over because they had air pumps, run for up to a week with just air stones.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom