Air pump off overnight?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Deepblue02

Aquarium Advice Regular
I hava my 25 gallon fish tank in my bedroom, and the noise from the air wall I have going is really disturbing at night. The filter is separate from the air pump, so is it okay to turn off overnight? Thanks!

Try it and see, if the fish are all gasping for air at the surface before u turn it back on then it needs to stay on (I don't thing there will be any issues though)

I think if you keep the waters surface agitated you should be okay because your still getting good gas exchange

Do you have live plants?

If you do they it's best not to turn off the pump at night.

The plants start to consume the oxygen in a tank at night, and without the agitation at the surface then the plants may starve the water of oxygen.

Thanks for the answers, i have been doing it and it seems okay, I do have live plants so i will just keep an eye, thanks!

Air stones/ walls are usually just for decoration. As said above, the filter usually provides sufficient surface agitation. Unless you're running a high tech tank, the risk of the fish suffocating overnight because of plants is nil.

Using an Air Pump

I hava my 25 gallon fish tank in my bedroom, and the noise from the air wall I have going is really disturbing at night. The filter is separate from the air pump, so is it okay to turn off overnight? Thanks!

Hello Deep...

If you're using the air pump just to power an airstone, then you can turn off the pump at night. The filtration system provides most of the job of getting oxygen into the tank water and allowing carbon dioxide to escape.

B

It should be fine as long as your surface of your wateris disturbed

What kind of air pump is it. ? I have the tetra wisper brands and they are quite as all get out !

http://amzn.to/11PKCn6

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom