air pump

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

brandyfinegirl

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I just bought a 5 gallon acrylic tank. Im lost about the air pump. I have a Tetratec AP30. Im not sure how to set it up with the tubing and the air stone. Im sure it is simple but I dont know were to place or how. HELP

brandyfinegirl...

Did the tank that you bought come with some sort of filtration system, perhaps an undergravel one, or did it simply come with a pump, hose and airstone? If it came with an undergravel filter (usually a white, perforated plate that fits the bottom of the tank) then you put the filter on the bottom with the clear plastic airlift tube pointing up and cover the plate with gravel. The airstone fits on one end of the long plastic hose and then you insert it down into the airlift tube of the filter. Attach the other end of the long plastic hose to the pump and plug it in. The airstone will set up a current which draws the water in your tank down through the gravel and the filter.

If the tank didn't come with any kind of filter then you need to get one. Sponge filters, available from your lfs, are about the simplest filter you can buy.

Hope this helps you get started.

My tank come with a Whisper Power Filter. It just hangs on the back of the tank. The Air Pump I bought just came with the eletrical part. I had to buy the clear tubing and the Air Stone. When I got home I seen I also needed a Check Valve. But I'm still lost. Do I need another part? Or do I just place the the tubing on the Air Stone and place it under the gravel or what? Also can I go ahead and put with water in the tank before I have the complete air pump system. Dont laugh! I know nothing about this. I am doing this for my kids.

The check valve is another part that will be in the section that has airline tubing, T-valves, etc. You cut your airline tubing and put this device in between, so if the power goes out water does not syphon out of your tank down the airline tubing (easy to happen!).

It will be easy to overstock this tank, especially since kids are going to want some "action" in the tank, so I am going to move this over to the Getting Started forum, since that is what you are doing! :wink:

Good luck, and welcome to AA!

brandyfinegirl...

You don't really need the airstone since you have the Whisper power filter. The airstone won't do much but give you some pretty bubbles in the tank. Yes...you should go ahead and add your gravel and water to the tank and get the power filter up and running.

Be sure to read the article about 'Cycling' your tank before you start adding a bunch of fish. It will save you, your kids, and the fish a whole lot of frustration and aggravation. Click on this link for an article on the Nitrogen Cycle:

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/showquestion.php?faq=2&fldAuto=21

Oh...and welcome to Aquarium Advice!

Back
Top Bottom