Air quality question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishieguy

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Curious: How sensitive is an aquarium to the quality of the air outside of it? For example, if I spray Lysol in the room (not directly at the tank, of course) -- would it adversely affect the environment within the tank? What about cigarette smoke?

Cigarette smoke does not effect the tank. I haven't had any adverse effects from spraying anything in the room with the tank. But don't spray anything close to the tank. You don't want anything contaminating the tank by falling into the water. If you do spray something near the tank, put a towel or sheet over the top so nothing falls into the water accidently.

I am a big fan of air fresheners. I spray stuff all the time but not anywhere near the tanks. I have had no problems.

what if you're wearing nailpolish and stick your hand in the tank? I don't wear nailpolish, but I've always wondered...

A friend of mine lost a tank full of cichlids when they did a lot of painting in the room with an oil based paint from the fumes.

I had a fishroom in my basement and when we had to have the house treated for termites we vented the air compresser out the window and covered the tanks with plastic wrap taped down.

I had to set a flea bomb in the house once too and for the living room tank. I turned off some power filters and ran an air pump outside and in through the window with the tank sealed with plastic wrap and tape.
You need one small corner open to let the air out of the tank.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom