Airborne tank hazards?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Brookster123

Aquarium Advice Addict
Long story short my gf got all types of oil burning incensey things, I've already expressed the zero tolerance on aerosols around my tanks, what about burning oils, scented candles and insense? Ok in the room with tanks? It may sound crazy but I am so into these tanks and It would kill me to have any of these things hurt my lil champions...

Haha i know what you mean i would have aeros sprayed near mine either. Regarding insense and oils. I dont actually know, the concentration getting into the water would be low but who knows whats in them. Ill be waiting on an answer for this too!

Haha i know what you mean i would have aeros sprayed near mine either. Regarding insense and oils. I dont actually know, the concentration getting into the water would be low but who knows whats in them. Ill be waiting on an answer for this too!
I actually threw out anything in a can and spray bottle, brought home a case of Lysol and windex wipes, "we use these now" (big smile)

Incense and burning oils are not fine actually. I was told this by my city's number one aquarium authority, who has been keeping tanks for 50 years and is a bit of an amateur scientist. He says no incense etc around tanks, especially if you use an airpump.

Incense and burning oils are not fine actually. I was told this by my city's number one aquarium authority, who has been keeping tanks for 50 years and is a bit of an amateur scientist. He says no incense etc around tanks, especially if you use an airpump.

Did he give a reason? It's easy for someone that's been in the industry forever to spout an answer and use his time in the industry to quell any dispute without being able to back up the answer. The guy that runs my LFS does this constantly.

Did he give a reason? It's easy for someone that's been in the industry forever to spout an answer and use his time in the industry to quell any dispute without being able to back up the answer. The guy that runs my LFS does this constantly.

Yep. It happends all the time, could possibly be true but who knows. If it says the contents is labelled on the bottles then it could be simple to find out their effects on aquatic life.

I've personally never had a problem with it with any of my tanks.

Besides, I figure there are people who smoke in their house who have tanks and they don't seem to have any problems, why should the occasional candle or what not be any worse?

I do have air pumps running on all my tanks, I've done some research and it seems 3/4 say it's fine with the 25% saying it will be a disaster, I guess I will ultimately be a Guinea pig, without sufficient evidence proving it to be harmful I cannot deprive her of the joy of burning her new oils..

Great topic! Cigarette smoke is actually quite dangerous to fish. Cigarettes contain up to 3% ammonia and nicotine is toxic fish. We are all aware of the dangers of smoking and the effects of second hand smoke so its common sense on this one.

The scented candles are a topic of debate as some do release carcinogens as well as lead and the FDA is considering a mandate on them due to the potential hazards they can pose. There are quite a few articles that cover the risks associated with burning scented candles (to humans) and its recommended to always use them in a well ventilated area or opt for organic/naturally sourced candles. I did a quick look and could not find any research at the moment as it specifically relates to aquariums and candles/incense but I do recall reading articles in respect to this before. I will see if I can dig them up later but if anyone else finds something of interest, please post it for us!

The lead part can be prevented by burning candles that don't have wire in the wick.

I know cigarettes are harmful, I'm just saying that there are people who smoke around their tanks and they don't seem to wipe out entire tanks, so take from it what you will. I read an article on how awful the average campfire/fireplace fire actually is for humans, yet have had tanks in house where the only source of heat was wood burning of some type.

You'll be fine.

Great topic! Cigarette smoke is actually quite dangerous to fish. Cigarettes contain up to 3% ammonia and nicotine is toxic fish. We are all aware of the dangers of smoking and the effects of second hand smoke so its common sense on this one.

The scented candles are a topic of debate as some do release carcinogens as well as lead and the FDA is considering a mandate on them due to the potential hazards they can pose. There are quite a few articles that cover the risks associated with burning scented candles (to humans) and its recommended to always use them in a well ventilated area or opt for organic/naturally sourced candles. I did a quick look and could not find any research at the moment as it specifically relates to aquariums and candles/incense but I do recall reading articles in respect to this before. I will see if I can dig them up later but if anyone else finds something of interest, please post it for us!

Wow. Good to know about scented candle there Jlk!

So if it is a naturally scented candle, say pine tree, it should be ok?

Most of the scents, even ones that sound natural, aren't. It really doesn't matter about the scent.

Like I've said, I really wouldn't worry about burning candles or incense at all. Yes, there are chemicals and what not, but your fish aren't going to just keel over.

The thing is that scents are soo dilluted I don't see any possible way for them to build up in your tank. Scented candles run 4%-10% aroma oil to wax ratio. Assuming every bit of that is vaporized from burning it's still an absolutely miniscule amount that's put into the air; but the aroma oil is usually a mineral oil base so there's going to be even less. The lead in the wicks of candles is in the same boat. There's a tiny tiny amount going into a very very large room and on top of that we use chemicals that bind with any tiny amount of lead that will go in our tanks. While I wouldn't burn a candle or incense right next to an air pump; burning it in the same room won't do anything.

A lot of this imho stems from people being alarmists about their tanks. I'm surprised that nobody has said passing gas near your tanks is harmful to your fish :ROFLMAO:

The thing is that scents are soo dilluted I don't see any possible way for them to build up in your tank. Scented candles run 4%-10% aroma oil to wax ratio. Assuming every bit of that is vaporized from burning it's still an absolutely miniscule amount that's put into the air; but the aroma oil is usually a mineral oil base so there's going to be even less. The lead in the wicks of candles is in the same boat. There's a tiny tiny amount going into a very very large room and on top of that we use chemicals that bind with any tiny amount of lead that will go in our tanks. While I wouldn't burn a candle or incense right next to an air pump; burning it in the same room won't do anything. A lot of this imho stems from people being alarmists about their tanks. I'm surprised that nobody has said passing gas near your tanks is harmful to your fish :ROFLMAO:
You never cease to ease my aquatic OCD mebbid! If the passing gas was truly an issue than I would have surely erraticated all of my tanks, probably my cat and possible my gf , love buffalo wings :bigggg smileee:

That's true. Funny enough, I had a friend who moved away, but when he lived in my city he had a 1 bedroom apartment that was lined with tanks. About 12 of them from 40 to 100 gallons. He smoked like a chimney. Non stop, constantly. His fish were among the healthiest I have ever seen. His black neon tetras spawned for him and everything.

Back
Top Bottom