Alas, a sick Otto (angel too?)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

emilygupps

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Just when I think the 180 is getting stable and we're out if the woods. No deaths for a whole week. Then, yesterday we woke up to a dead farlawala, and this morning we noticed an Otto with a big white spot on top of the head. Just before posting this we noticed our (otherwise) very healthy angel looked funny too. Every one is eating.

We have been battling water quality problems and algae growth for a few weeks. We took a suggestion from an other member and took apart all the filters and found several dead loaches in various states of decay. After cleaning that things have been going well! On Monday we fed some zucchini on Wednesday we did a %25 water change and doses with prime.

Our readings were
0 amonia
0 nitrite
20<x<30 nitrate
8ph
Very hard water

Other stock:
Angels
Ottos
Khuli
Danios
Nerite snails
Amono shrimp
LOTS of plants ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1408116225.664681.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1408116243.435082.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1408116266.172212.jpg

Sent from my iPhone

One dead Otto. Can't seem to find the one with the big white spot. Any one know what I should treat with?

Sent from my iPhone

180g running since The end of April.

We've lost several khuli loaches. Turns out they were climbing in to the canister filter. That problem has been fixed. But I'm not sure how long ago the original loaches climbed in. But about a 6 weeks ago we had a weird amonia problem, and then a nitrAte issue that we have since attributed to the decaying fish in the filter, about 3 weeks ago along with four more dead loaches found in the tank, 4 ish ottos died that same week.

since June all 8 of our rams have died. the first two weeks we had them 6 died then a week later the female from our last pair. Last week our final male died quite suddenly he was eating happily and very colorful the night before he died. Until the ammonia issue showed up we assumed the rams were just bad quality.

We were doing %50-70 water changes weekly while having the water chemistry issues. But have since cut back at the advice of a few members to just 15-25% weekly.

Sent from my iPhone

We ended up treating with malefix, 1/2 dose. I'm hoping the inverts and loaches survive. We figured either way they might die even if we didn't treat so we opted to save the angels, danios, and ottos. The angels would be a big loss money wise and I'm very attached to a few of the danios since they were some of our first fish and our first batch of fry.

Sent from my iPhone

Yesterday was not eventful. Treated again with an other half dose.

This morning the Otto with the white spot was dead.

This afternoon we went to petco for more meds, and picked up some different food, shrimp pallets this time. Tonight was the first night the khulis actually ate in front of us. We counted six. Four black and two of the ones that look like giraffes.

The koi angel looks unchanged. Can any one tell me if it is losing scales under it's belly? And if the fins are cloudy because of a fungus or a bacteria?

Sent from my iPhone

Back
Top Bottom