Albino bristlenose pleco

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

roydooms

Aquarium Advice Addict
When will they start living up to the their name and grow the bristle(?)?

Bristlenoses reach sexual maturity at about one year, and they reach about their full size (around four inches long) at about two years of age.
If you don't know the age yours were when you got them But they plow through a lot of food. If you don't feed them enough, they will die.
They do chew on wood, but it's not clear what nutrition, if any, they get from this. i hope this helps a lil

-----Derek

drprowant said:
Bristlenoses reach sexual maturity at about one year, and they reach about their full size (around four inches long) at about two years of age.
If you don't know the age yours were when you got them But they plow through a lot of food. If you don't feed them enough, they will die.
They do chew on wood, but it's not clear what nutrition, if any, they get from this. i hope this helps a lil

-----Derek

This helps a lot. Thank you. I have a driftwood that they chew on and I feed them algae wafers and sometimes cucumber. :)

you are doing really good then. i also feed mine lettuce on a suction cup hook there like 50 cents at any pet store if you need more info just let me know and if i do not know the answer i will find it for you

------Derek

TheCrazyFishLady said:
Maybe they are female? They can grow bristles (not as much as a male) or just nubs. Is there any sign yet?

No sign at all.

drprowant said:
you are doing really good then. i also feed mine lettuce on a suction cup hook there like 50 cents at any pet store if you need more info just let me know and if i do not know the answer i will find it for you

------Derek

Do you use iceberg lettuce or romaine or it doesn't matter?

i just peal of a lil leaf off a head and put it in there a lil of it under a rocks so id does not float

------Derek

They do chew on wood, but it's not clear what nutrition, if any, they get from this.

-----Derek

Plecos chew on wood for fiber. It's not necessary when they're younger, but as plecos get older, they really eat very little algae, and the wood becomes absolutely essential to their good health.

TheCrazyFishLady said:
Well... maybe they are still babies? Or you got albino-something else? Could happen. Sometimes an LFS will get in a bag of plecos that are marked as "assorted" and they have to ID them on their own. They could have mis-IDed them? Just a possibility.

I got mine straight from the packaging where petsmart ordered it. The fish just arrived and it was labeled albino bristlenose. They are still babies. About an inch and a half long.

TheCrazyFishLady said:
Aw, alright. They are great little guys. I have a pleco right now that I'm waiting to get older so I can figure out what kind he is.

Yes they are great. Do you know how many species(?) of plecos are there?

TheCrazyFishLady said:
400-ish. And I believe they are still finding more.

Oh wow! I though there wasn't even 10. Lol. Amazing.

TheCrazyFishLady said:
Yea, go check out planetcatfish.com and go to L-numbers. Those are all plecos. So many that they just went with numbering the little guys.

Wow! That's a lot. I'm going to check it out now :)

Back
Top Bottom