Albino Cory Hurt! Help :(

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zamboni

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So earlier I was performing my regular water change when I knocked my magnet cleaner apart and the inside half of the magnet fell to the bottom of the tank right on top of where my precious female albino cory was sleeping :(!!

At first I thought she would be fine, as the magnet isn't all that heavy and she swam off fairly fast. However after completing the water change I found her laying in a plant - something I've never seen her do before, as she's quite large. At first i laughed because of how awkward it looked, my big cory all wrapped up in a little plant. To make sure she was ok i got her to swim out of the plant and she moved perfectly fine.

However, upon inspecting her where she sat down, she looked a little bruised. It didn't look too severe and could have just been my guilty conscience. The darker parts may or may not have already been there but I've definitely never noticed them before.

Thinking it doesn't look too bad, I left her for a few minutes while I left the room. Upon returning to the room she looks to be bleeding from the nose. This clearly wasn't the case before. I don't know what to do, she is in a community tank but no other fish in there would harm her. Would a cleaner magnet be heavy enough to do this much damage, even if it only fell from a small height in the water?

What can I do to help her? Will she be ok? I feel so guilty letting this happen to her! She is my favorite fish by far so I really want her to be ok (would with any fish but more so her!)!

Please help!! Thanks.

This happened to my female peppered once and cleared up in a few hours

Zamboni said:
The magnet dropping on her? Or just the blood nose/bruising?

Glad to hear! Still hope shes ok!

The bloody nose and bruising
She ran into the gravel with her nose then banged into the glass
Lol

The bloody nose and bruising
She ran into the gravel with her nose then banged into the glass
Lol
So its possible that in her shock, when she took off frantically the damage was done from something other than the magnet?

She seems to be behaving normally at the moment, cant quite get a good look at her nose though.

I once caused my baby koi to lose his tail when it got stuck under my siphon.

Zamboni said:
So its possible that in her shock, when she took off frantically the damage was done from something other than the magnet?

She seems to be behaving normally at the moment, cant quite get a good look at her nose though.

Could be from when she took off, but there is not way to tell for sure. You just need to keep an eye on her, observe eating habits also, try to see if you observe changes.
What could be a light weight for us (as the magnet), it is a heavy weight for the size and weight of the fish. But I hope that she will be fine.

Well, good news! She seems to be behaving normally today, rummaging around like all good corys! The blood seems to have disappeared from her nose, although it still looks a little tender. She has also been eating the same as usual, and doesn't seem at all stressed or unhappy.

Re the magnet being a heavy weight for fish, I thought of this myself earlier and realized it must be 2-3 times her bodyweight, I wouldn't like it too much if 300lbs were dropped on my head! However I'm assuming she must have hit her nose on something in her panic afterwards.

As of right now everything looks to be pretty normal. Thanks for the help guys.

Back
Top Bottom