Algae, algae growing everywhere

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ASpec

Aquarium Advice Freak
Here are the tank spec's

58 Gallons
NH3/NH4: 0
NO2: 0
NO3: 15
KH: 7
GH: 6
Phospate: 1.5
PH: 6.8
Temp: 78-80 F
Photo Period: 10 hours (192 watts of PC)
CO2: 30-35 (Automated, Pressurized)

I have green hair algae starting to grow everywhere. On my plants, rock, driftwood, tank walls. I also have very dark green spots of algae in various places on the substarte (eco complete).

I run a Coralife 9 watt UV 24/7, flowed down to just under 100 gph. What in the world in going on with my tank? It's been established for almost 3 months now. No fish, only plants. It's not fully planted but it's getting there. Tons of glosso and swords. I dose TMG weekly and KNO3 as needed to keep the NO3 above 10.

Any suggestions, please? What am I missing.

There can be many nutrients in the water column that benefit algae over plants. How often do you change water? It's also very important to regularly clean your filter as this can be the feeding source for algae.

Upon the first look, I would say you don't have enough Co2 in your tank (despite what your ph/kh chart says). You also have a lot of light over that tank. Add more po4 per dosing (I'd double the amount you are adding now). Turn up the co2 a little. As for the algae thats in the tank now. Clean the walls, prune plants. Harass the algae.

I think you're limiting potassium as well. Lack of potassium means the plants stop growing, so the NO3 and PO4 starts buidling up.

How often are you changing water? And why no fish?

I've been planning to add fish for almost a month now, but just have not decided on what I want, hence no fish.

I change 25% of my water every Saturday and dose TMG per instructions after the water change.

My phosphates were around 2 - 2.5 but I added PhosGuard to lower them to the current 1.5. I was under the impression anything above 2 was getting into the "unwanted zone". Maybe I am wrong? My phosphate out of my tap is 2.

I clean my canister every month, and just cleaned in this past Saturday during my water change.

So... if I undertstand this I should be adding more phosphate to my tank? I though high amounts of phosphate would lead to brown alage?

And where can I get potassium... Greg Watson I assume? I don't have a potassium test kit... do I need one?

Thanks

No, Potassium, not phosphate.

NPK are the three macros, Nitrogen (nitrate) Phosphorus (phosphate) and Potassium

You have plenty of phosphate. There's no cheap potassium kit, but too much doesn't cause algae, so the basic trick is to dose 10-15ppm after a water change and another 10ppm mid week to make sur eyou don't dip too low.

Also, I advise 50% weekly changes, to reset your nutrient levels and prevent buildup.
Once you get fish in there, you'll wanna clean your canister sponges at least 2 times a month. I do mine weekly because the cichlids are so messy.

Thanks. I will order some K2SO4 from Greg Watson.

Should I continue to use PhosGuard to keep my phosphate under 2, or can I just let it ride right out of the tap at 2?

Will the potassium (K2SO4) clear up my alage issues?

Green spot algae occurs when PO4 is limited. While you may be limiting K like stated above, this will also cause a reduction in the uptake of Nitrogen and concurrently PO4. I perfer KNO3 as it takes care of 2 macros vs one but if you already have more than enough nitrates then the K2S04 will work fine. Algae comes not from an abundance of nutrients but a limiting of them in planted tanks. Algae will never be deprived of nutrients as they can use what we cannot readily test for. The key is to give the plants what they can use and they will keep the algae at bay. Tom Barr uses the elephant and mice analogy. Its much easier to starve the elephant, but give them what they want and there will be very few mice around.

I would keep using the phosgarde for now. 2ppm of PO4 is plenty, and your fish food is just gonna increase it.
When dealing with algae issues, its best to go slow, and change one thing at a time, so that you know what actually 'fixed' it.
But the crucial point is GO SLOW. It takes 2-3 times longer to get rid of algae than it does for it to develop.

Back
Top Bottom