Algae and Plant Deficiency?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mccaquatics

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey so I have a two part question.

1) So I have some white spots on my tank glass (the long streaks of white are air bubbles. The smaller cloudy looking spots is what I’m referring to). They move slightly with the current from the power head by the way. I’m thinking it’s algae but I can’t tell for sure. I have live plants as well as a shrimp and one snail. I feed an algae wafer to a pleco maybe 3 x a week and I have a bunch of other fish.

I don’t want to wipe it off the glass if my snail and pleco enjoy eating it (if it is algae)

2) I bought a Anubis plant that was grown out of water from petco months ago and put it into my tank. It’s been able to attach itself to the driftwood and its grown several leaves that have eventually died or disintegrated as you can see in the pic. I was using flourish by seachem and the leaves would deteriorate. I switched to ‘Thrive’ about a month ago and two leaves have grown since then (the greenest ones in the middle) but they have little black particles on them. I don’t have carbon dioxide being injected in my tank, but I’ve read that it’s not necessary. Am I missing something here?

Attachments

• 0364D543-D9F3-423C-9541-6E4A2FD4E8C3.jpg
    0364D543-D9F3-423C-9541-6E4A2FD4E8C3.jpg
    253.2 KB · Views: 21
  • 61B79A74-2BF8-4E19-9881-00B2D922A28C.jpg
    61B79A74-2BF8-4E19-9881-00B2D922A28C.jpg
    249.6 KB · Views: 18
How often are you doing pwc's? How much? Nutrient deficient looking for sure.

What are your water parameters,
Ammonia
Nitrite
Nitrate

pH
TDS
GH/KH

The little things on the glass, can you take a water based marker and dot it to the things on the glass (dry side / outside). Then see if the things move over time? If they stay in one spot it's probably algae I would just scrape them off. If they crawl around then we can think of other things.

One option - I will clean off my front tank glass to make viewing more enjoyable. And leave the other sides for the critters to munch. That way we both get at least something we want.

Back
Top Bottom