Algae Blenny - Salarias faciatus

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fluff

Aquarium Advice Addict
Submitted by Fluff

Algae Blenny - Salarias fasciatus

Common Names: Sailfin, Lawnmower, Jewelled Rockskipper, Jeweled Blenny, Rock Blenny, Eyelash Blenny, Horned Blenny

Category: Blenny

Family: Blenniidae

Origin: Indo-Pacific

Main Ecosystem: Ocean/marine

Salinity: 1.020-1.025

Temperament: Peaceful, except with other blennies of the same shape

Diet: Herbivore

Care: Shy fish that requires rockwork to hide in and graze on. This fish feeds mainly off of film algae on rocks and glass, so a mature system of 30 gallons or more is best. Feeding can be supplemented with seaweed sheets and/or veggies, though I've never had one accept these foods. The algae blenny is a peaceful community fish but may get territorial/aggressive with other blennies of the same shape. Only one per tank should be kept unless it's a large system or if it's a mated pair. This blenny may nip at SPS corals and clam mantles as well.

ph: 8.1-8.4

Temperature: 72-78 degrees fahrenheit

Potential Size: 4-5"

Water Region: Within rockwork at all levels

Activity: Diurnal

Color: Mottled, brown, tan, gray, white

Mouth: Wide

Acclimation: Slow acclimation over a 1-2 hour period. Float to match temperature and add water every 15-20 minutes.

Breeding: Couldn't find any breeding info on this fish so it's assumed it's not being bred in captivity yet.

Comments: Provided there is plenty of film algae in your tank, this fish is a great addition to any reef or fish-only tank. They are full of personality. Care should be taken to keep the tank top secure as these fish will jump out.

Sources:
http://www.solodvds.com/fish_saltwater.asp
http://liveaquaria.com/product/prod_Display.cfm?pCatId=94

you don't say here how many gallons you need for them. Can you add the amount of water as full grown blenny needs? Thanks!

On live aquaria its rated for minimum 30 gallons. I have a scooter blenny in my 35 and he's my most personable fish. And he's just adorable lol

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20110801_220320.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110801_220320.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 982
I got 3 in the 33 gallons tank. They are cool and cute.

Attachments

• image-68387961.jpg
    image-68387961.jpg
    161.6 KB · Views: 725
  • image-2505469339.jpg
    image-2505469339.jpg
    143.3 KB · Views: 688
Our lawnmower blenny ate all of our hair algae months ago and now happily eats a large variety of foods: frozen mysis, frozen bloodworms, frozen brine shrimp, Spectrum marine pellets, and Ocean Nutrition Formula Two flakes.

My 2 Blennies too (1.5" Sailfin & 2" Red Crown) ...they start off by eating only Fine Hair Algae.

When all of the algae gone, they ate algae from live rock. When algae fro LR is gone.

Now they are stealing Nutrition Ocean food 2.0mm from my tang.

Now they also ate Seaweed sheet that I gave to my tang and also shrimp that I feed to Bubble Tip Anemone. They pretty much ate everything, don't they?

I like them.

Emphasis on the "film algae" as mentioned in the description. My lawnmowers don't touch hair algae, they hit the glass walls of the tank and suck off film algae and love to eat Nori and anything else they can nab, but I don't think they are very effective on hair algae, at least in my systems.

Back
Top Bottom