algae bloom advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

peaceablegarden

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi everyone,
I'm experiencing my first algae bloom (in tank 2, see sig line). I suspect that there were two factors responsible. 1. the sun shifted and is now hitting about 1/4 of the tank directly for about 15-20 minutes a day (I'm gonna start covering the tank during that part of the day starting tomorrow) 2. I probably overfed a bit. Realizing the error of my ways, I've cut back on the food and am only turning the light on a few times during the day to feed and clean. Have been doing pwc every day or every other day of about 15-20% while also cleaning gravel. Lots of poop. Have even been using the net to capture the big chunks after vacuuming. Ammonia 0, nitrItes 0, nitrAtes 0, pH 7.0. Am I doing the right things and when can I expect things to clear? I've been at this about 2 weeks now. Thanks.

32 views and no opinions? Is this microphone on? In addition to the information I've already given, I also changed out my bio-bag the other one was falling apart and pretty dirty having been rinsed out in tank water once before. Would using charcoal now be helpful? I don't use it currently.

Last edited:
I think you might get a better response if you will describe the algae. Is it green water? <ie a unicellular algae bloom in the water> or a bloom of other algae?

In a non-planted tank, the way to deal with algae would be nutrient & light control. Looks like you are doing the right thing. But depending on algae type, there might be other solutions.

Green water algae can be readily controlled by reducing light and nutrients. With no plants in the tank, use the lights only for a short time once a day when you are feeding and try to protect the tank from all the light from the window, not just direct light. Feed no more than the fish will eat completely in 2 minutes once a day. Within a week to 10 days, the green water should be much less green.
In the meantime don't worry about it too much since green water is not a problem for your fish. A tank can be so green that you can't see fish at the back and it won't bother the fish at all. It is a bit unsightly but that means you don't do anything too drastic to get rid of it.

Agree with everything oldman said re reducing nutrients and light. You say you are doing 15-20% pwcs daily or every 2 days. Since you started, has their been any improvement?

If not, and your tank is in contact with direct sunlight I'd consider:

a> moving the tank away from the area. As long as its getting direct sunlight, you are really in an uphill battle.

b> perform a total blackout. Cover the entire tank for 4 days straight. Do not feed, do not peek. It must be 100% black. One the time is up, do a large pwc and give a good vac.

It can, due to decaying dead algae. You can minimize that by doing a large (50%) pwc before & after the blackout.

For a less drastic solution, you can try doing more pwc's .... say 25% daily for a while, and get a shade for the window. Give that a week & see if things get better.

If you have access to a diatom filter (or a Magnum canister with a water polishing filter), you can run that for a few hours to clear up the water. <you still need to correct the underlying cause of the green water or it will come back.>

It looks like my efforts might be paying off. Things seem to look slightly clearer. I can actually see my fish in the back of the tank. I've hung a towel over the tank to cut of at least some of the light. I'm continueing the pwcs while vacuuming the gravel. Unfortunately, there isn't a place to move the tanks (they're on the same stand) anywhere in the room where they won't get any light. This was the darkest spot until late fall hit and all the leaves fell off the trees and the sun is in a different spot. Not sure what I'll do to keep the sun out over the winter. It only hits the tank for about 15 or 20 minutes during the day. I'm concerned about fish health doing the complete blackout. If I do two 50% pwcs within a few days of each other, I'm worried that it will start to cycle the tank. Guess I'll keep doing what I'm trying for now. Thanks.

A 50% pwc before and after a blackout won't un-cycle your tank. The bulk of the beneficial bacteria lives in your filter and other surfaces, not the water column.

Of more concern when you do several 50% pwcs within days is that any sudden change in water parameters can be stressful to fish. But if the pH and other params from your tap isn't vastly differnt to the water in your tank, it's not so much a concern. Nor is doing two once-off 50% changes as part of the b/out process.

But b/outs are somewhat drastic and things seem to be on the up for you... I'd probably follow jsoong's advice and go the 25% pwcs every two days for a while and see how that goes. Things should have vastly improved in 10-12 days or so.

Back
Top Bottom