"Algae" (Cyanobacteria) Problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Istrom

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Thanks for reading guys,

I have a large amount of cyano growing in my tank. For a while it was creeping up some of my zoas so I did research on it. I discovered that it was my lighting system (that was possibly 20 years old) and my lack of water flow causing this. I added powerheads immediately and the cyano retreated from the zoas. About two weeks after that (today), I got new LED lighting. Most of the cyano is now on empty live rock or on the sand. Since I fixed the cause, will the cyano die off, or do I need to use a medication of some sort? (I did just get a fighting conch but I doubt that will really take care of the problem.)

Cyano is caused be nutrients in the water it grows in low flow low light areas Do large water changes it will help Adding flow aids in the removal of any detritus which lowers the food needed by the cyano The conch will help things by stirring the sand bed. I would give the tank some time it looks like your on your way to beating it.

Okay, good to know. Also, just curious, in your version of "SPS", is "Stability" just water quality in general or the product by seachem? lol

Water quality is what it's all about. What we really keep is very good water the rest takes care of it's self lol

Back
Top Bottom