Algae eaters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lukac123

Aquarium Advice Regular
What is the best freshwater algae eaters for a non planted tank?

I am not very knowledgeable on this subject but I would say a pleco or a SAE (siamese algae eater). Be careful with the pleco's because they can become very big!

Oto Cat, nerite snail, amano shrimp. Any plec I have ever owned never really ate algae, only junk from the bottom, wafers, cucumbers and driftwood.

I read that the SAE needs a plant and I don’t have plants for this tank. Like I can put plants in there but I’d have to put my corycats in a temporary tank and they have already been rehomed once and I don’t wanna out that stress on them.

I read that the SAE needs a plant and I don’t have plants for this tank. Like I can put plants in there but I’d have to put my corycats in a temporary tank and they have already been rehomed once and I don’t wanna out that stress on them.

Algae doesn't need plants to grow ;)

I know ಠ_ಠ im saying that the Siamese Algae Eater needs plants. And I don’t wanna make a planted tank just yet.

I have two albino bristlenose plecos and two mystery snails and I haven't seen a speck of algae in my 20 gallon since I got them

So I’m looking for algae eater recommendations that don’t need plants

How many of those would I need for a 10 gallon with no plants

My tank is not planted, nor do I have driftwood and everyone in the tank is doing great

Okay. Should I get 1 albino bristlenose pleco and 1 mystery snail for my 10 gallon

How many of those would I need for a 10 gallon with no plants

1 oto for a 10 gallon
a few nerite snails or amano shrimp

Siamese algae eaters and plecs will not work in a 10 gallon

Also, I've never heard of algae eaters needing plants? I don't think any fish needs plants to survive

Siamese algae eaters do better with plants. I did research on them and my LFS said she recommends plants with a Siamese algae eater. I do wanna do a planted tank but I don’t wanna stress out the Cory’s I have.

Had 3 SAE in a 125g with only rock & fake plants who were just fine. What fish do you have?;Amano shrimp are great cleaners & only a tiny bio load, I've always found ottos a little delicate for MY taste.

Back
Top Bottom