Algae!!! Everywhere!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ericwithac

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Weve got some algae! Im thinking we should reduce the light cycle from 10 to 8 hours and see what happens. Any other ideas or treatments we should look into?

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1427923128.756557.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1427923155.322429.jpg

In Soviet Russia iPhone You!!

Do you have any algae eaters? If not I would recommend a group of otocinclous.

36g semi-aggressive
20g community
5.5g betta/ghost shrimp
3g betta
2g fry

Does it rub off easily? 10 hrs is too.much anyways. 7 hrs would be better

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Yea it rubs off easy. I wanted to avoid otto cats as our tank isnt cycled yet but we do have good water parameter. Also, i just noticed on Black Bears on the back of some of our java ferns. Would otto cats take care of all of them?

I'm sorry... Black bears?

36g semi-aggressive
20g community
5.5g betta/ghost shrimp
3g betta
2g fry

I'm sorry... Black bears?

36g semi-aggressive
20g community
5.5g betta/ghost shrimp
3g betta
2g fry

Probably means black beard algae. If so, whatever it is on cut it off. Cut off leaves, scrape off the glass, etc. that's only way to get rid of it.

Agree with brookster on the photoperiod.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Yea lol. I just removed that plant and replaced it with some wisteria. I got some otto cats too, they are busy working on eating up this algae!

I think this is worth the read. I've been trying to follow it and so far so good. The only thing I've had problems with so far is brown algae which isn't really algae.

I think the very last paragraph at the very bottom is very important and should be read first. IMO scroll down and read it first then read the rest.

Also, my java ferns have little baby ferns on some of the leaves and they have roots that looks blackish brown and fuzzy like the parent roots around the bottom. At least that's what I think it is. I have googled it and photos of black beard algae. Mine also have little leaves on the other side so I don't think it's algae. I've attached a picture of mine below.

Attachments

• IMG_1228 web.jpg
    IMG_1228 web.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 69
Draw a circle in the substrate and put your fish in it he can't hurt them there :D

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Amazing comment.

You've already heard it but I have 3 otos and they've done wonders for the exact brown algae you have in my tank.

29g Community

3g Betta

Yea lol. I just removed that plant and replaced it with some wisteria. I got some otto cats too, they are busy working on eating up this algae!

If your tank isn't cycled yet you shouldn't be adding more fish to it. A lot of this hobby involves delayed gratification. Figure out why you're getting the algae, adjust your photoperiod and nutrients accordingly and let it sort itself out. Adding more bioload in the form of a finicky fish to an uncycled tank isn't a great solution.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I got 4 ottos. I really wasnt planning on it but they are already hard at work. Ill look into that article! Thanks!!

Back
Top Bottom