ALGAE!! Green Water Help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jackie443

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi

I'm just starting out, I've had my tank set up for about 8 weeks i done a fishless cycle had a few failed attempts at plants, I've currently got 5 zebra danios and 5 guppies but in the last week my water is turning green and I cant get rid of it. I've tried scrubbing the rocks etc, changing the water, reducing the light, I've added Chemi pure elite to my filter, I've bought anti algae stuff thats supposed to clumop the algae together but nothing is working. Do you think I should have another go at plants?? Any advicem welcome.
:mad::mad:

Plants need good established substrate to really thrive, so don't beat yourself up. I did my first planted tank starting 1/1/9 and it really didn't take off for 6-9 months, then it went bonkers.

Try Seachem Root Tabs they're great.

Also are you using activated carbon filtration? That will help battle the algae but works against the plants too (not so much if you use root tabs, but will still deplete the nutrients)

Try Seachem Purigen it works like carbon (removes dissolved organic matter) but doesn't remove trace elements plants need and it's rechargeable. Also might try supplementing with fertilizers (I like the Seachem products - no I'm not a rep!!).

Also, algae sometimes just has to run it's course. With proper lighting (esp for planted), feeding, filtration, etc it will go away on it's own. With green water that can be an impurity. When I was a teenager we had well water and every time I did a PWC I got a huge GW bloom. Eventually figured out that I needed to run a Magnum canister micron filter for a day after a PWC and didn't get it. But I'm guessing you're not on well water...

Back
Top Bottom