Algae growing on plants and decs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Qozux

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi I have a planted 10G with 3 plants in it. My plants, as far as I can tell are Spiralis grass, moneywart, and some Anubias looking plant in a pot. I just noticed I have some white fuzz on the more brown blades of the grass and on top of a yellow submarine (YA HA!) I have in the tank. My primary concern is if this is bad for the fish or plants in any way. It doesn't look horrible or anything, I only notice because I stare at my tank too much.
If this is bad then what should I do to get rid of it?
I have 3 corys and 4 (maybe 3) ghost shrimp in there right now.

Hello Q...

Solid fish foods like flakes can settle in small cracks or tiny openings in plants and decorations. A fungus can grow in any of these places that contain traces of food. Reducing the amount you feed and changing the tank water regularly will reduce the nutrients in the water and the fungus will disappear in a short time.

Fungus isn't harmful, so don't fret over a little bit in your tank. You can get small Ramshorn snails at the pet store. They'll remove the fungus too. Otherwise, just keep the tank water pure. The more water you change and the more often you change it, the healthier the tank.

B

Corydos must be keeped in school of 6 or more...

Which would be great if I had the room for them, but I really don't. As it is they are happy, healthy, and very active. They interact with the other residents of the tank and each other. I know it's ideal to have them in large schools, but nothing is hurting them right now.

Back
Top Bottom