Algae ID Please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Devilishturtles

Aquarium Advice Addict
This stuff started out as just a little bubble or two, and now it's taking over my tank. It's growing everywhere. On my filtration, the rocks, even in between my corals. The pictures below show it growing on my torch coral skeleton. I have googled and can't find anything. Does anyone have any idea?

It's not bubble algae. This stuff is really soft when you touch it and is filled with a gooy substance (spores I imagine). It does look really really awesome under the actinic lighting. :)

Thanks.

Attachments

• dsc00440__medium__211.jpg
    dsc00440__medium__211.jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 52
  • dsc00441__medium__104.jpg
    dsc00441__medium__104.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 68
I've never seen red valonia colored like this, or growing much in this shape. The pictures I've always seen of it have been strictly a dark red color and that is it. This stuff is wildly colored with bright oranges and almost purple all over it. Unless you've seen red valonia different colored before? That would be nice if you have. Hehe. I really wish I could find out what this stuff is.

Might try WWM next.

I had this stuff in mine also.. came after my elephant ear died.. and then the water got all bad and now I have algae...have no clue what it is....

I'll bet ya it might be cyano. Mine looked like that before spreading...it seems to suck up any microbubbles and ends up looking like that...at least it did in my tank.

Back
Top Bottom