Algae in live sand?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sweetleaf79

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey all! Was wondering if anyone knew what this was? I've had my tank running for about 5 months and just noticed this dark green in the sand bed. Any help would be much appreciated.

image-746932401.jpg

Is it on the glass or the sand? I get spots on the glass sometimes below the sand/water line. I usually clean it when I vacuum and PWC.

I have a lil of that also. I have not messed with it. So great question.

Hard to tell from the pic is it in the sand or on the glass?

Hmm yes I guess maybe it is on the glass. Its not anywhere else. On one side there is something similar but it's pink. Should I just leave it be or try to scrape the glass below the sand?

Sweetleaf79 said:
Hmm yes I guess maybe it is on the glass. Its not anywhere else. On one side there is something similar but it's pink. Should I just leave it be or try to scrape the glass below the sand?

You can try and stick your hand in there, see if it just wipes away. Worth a try right?

Let us know what you come up with. I looked again. Maybe in your sand bed. Can you try and stir it up a bit? Lightly not too much.

I will mess with it when I get home, I will try to wipe it away first, then maybe stir the sand a little if that doesn't work. Thank you guys so much! I will let you know how it goes.

Pink/red = cyano. brown = diatoms. How long have you had your tank? Did you wash your sand before putting it in?

The topic of this thread is Sweetleaf79's algae identification and/or resolution if necessary. Any chit chat can be taken to private messaging, or we also have a chat room if you are so inclined. Off topic posts have been deleted. Further off topic posting will result in thread closure.

Finally, I must mention that the same rules apply to Private Messaging and Chat Room as apply to the AA Forum. Please keep that in mind.

Thank you for understanding.

I have had the tank up for about 5 months. No I didn't wash the sand, eek! Was I supposed to? I got the sand in the bag with water, I think coralife, something like that.

Sweetleaf79 said:
I have had the tank up for about 5 months. No I didn't wash the sand, eek! Was I supposed to? I got the sand in the bag with water, I think coralife, something like that.

It's always a good idea to wash the sand. I don't think it's gonna hurt anything that you didn't IMO but usually yes you wanna give it a good cleaning.

I rubbed if with my finger, does seem like it was on the glass but I had moved it with my finger do it just ended up mixing with the sand :/

Sweetleaf79 said:
I rubbed if with my finger, does seem like it was on the glass but I had moved it with my finger do it just ended up mixing with the sand :/

Sounds like your ok. Maybe diatoms. I had it bad in my newly cycled Cichlid tank. Then it just took care of itself after some water changes.

Algea in the live sand

I used to have somewhat the same problem until I bought a Black lined Sleeper Goby. That guy is a work horse and keeps my live sand clean! He has tripled in size since I got him 5 months ago.

I wouldn't recommend a goby in such a young tank as they can be finicky eaters but after a year they'll keep your sand clean

nassarius snails are awesome for stirring up the sand and eating uneaten food and they look awesome when they emerge

Back
Top Bottom