Algae in Malawi Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Labenator65000

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I'm noticing a bit of algae that has gradually begun to accumulate on my decor and on the filtration. The tank (55) is in the basement with zero natural light, although I do have the hood lights on an automatic timer that keeps about 12 hours of artificial light in there. I do 50% PWCs weekly and my water parameters stay within acceptable range. My water is crystal clear. I hope these are not silly questions:

Do Synodontis Petricola eat algae? If not, are there any algae-eating fish that are safe with Mbuna (Labs)?

Should I just leave the lights off for a few days (and not feed them)? It's usually pitch dark in the basement without the tank lights on?

Please don't tell me that I need to purchase a $300 UV Sterilizer, etc... (well, do tell me if I really need it. I just don't WANT to hear it ; )

Labenator65000 said:
I'm noticing a bit of algae that has gradually begun to accumulate on my decor and on the filtration. The tank (55) is in the basement with zero natural light, although I do have the hood lights on an automatic timer that keeps about 12 hours of artificial light in there. I do 50% PWCs weekly and my water parameters stay within acceptable range. My water is crystal clear. I hope these are not silly questions:

Do Synodontis Petricola eat algae? If not, are there any algae-eating fish that are safe with Mbuna (Labs)?

Should I just leave the lights off for a few days (and not feed them)? It's usually pitch dark in the basement without the tank lights on?

Please don't tell me that I need to purchase a $300 UV Sterilizer, etc... (well, do tell me if I really need it. I just don't WANT to hear it ; )

Well, I have a 2 inch ABN in mine... So far so good, although I have heard horror stories if eyes being pecked out! Just got my Syno Sunday so I cant help ya there ;)

AndrewsPistol said:
Well, I have a 2 inch ABN in mine... So far so good, although I have heard horror stories if eyes being pecked out! Just got my Syno Sunday so I cant help ya there ;)

Yeah, I guess I have read of folks having good luck with ABN. Of course I read where folks kept Rainbow Sharks with Mbuna with no problems and I had one that coexisted with mine for months peacefully until one day when I found the hapless cat decapitated and eviscerated :(

Labenator65000 said:
Yeah, I guess I have read of folks having good luck with ABN. Of course I read where folks kept Rainbow Sharks with Mbuna with no problems and I had one that coexisted with mine for months peacefully until one day when I found the hapless cat decapitated and eviscerated :(

Oh that sucks! My abn has a special hangout that only he can fit into and I think that is part of my success, although he is out at night. My problem now is I don't have too much algae due to my OCD and strict cleaning routine lol. I give him green beans and wafers at night but I'm not sure if he gets em. The Africans usually get it first!

AndrewsPistol said:
Oh that sucks! My abn has a special hangout that only he can fit into and I think that is part of my success, although he is out at night. My problem now is I don't have too much algae due to my OCD and strict cleaning routine lol. I give him green beans and wafers at night but I'm not sure if he gets em. The Africans usually get it first!

I know, right? Say, just raw beans or blanched?

Do ur water changes and turn ur timer so ur lights are on less. You can get a pleco to eat the algae. And uv only works on algae suspended in the water, it doesn't work on algae that's stuck to glass, deco, filter ect.

I have the black algae, it is just part of having Africans, most of the fish graze in it, I like it it makes everything look natural and blended into each other.
Some flake food we feed them is algae based, some people I know try and encourage it to grow as its a free food source.

thats the good algae..Just get a mag float to keep the glass clean. What kind of lights do you have?

Labenator65000 said:
Really? Are you worried about the conservatives?

LOL! This is the result of auto spell correction. I meant aren't you worried about the preservatives, not conservatives.

Pton46 said:
Did you mean Preservatives?

Or is this now a political conversation?:ROFLMAO:

I'm exercising alot of restraint here to keep from replying with something politically whimsical that would spin this thread into oblivion. But yeah, auto spell correction is the destroyer of my dignity and credibility from time to time :)

I have a red tailed "shark" in my African tank and he's been there since day one with no issues. I have about 4 different species of loaches and 1 Synodontis catfish. But don't just rely on them for an algae problem. Like others have said, turning lights off and keeping them off for a time period will help along with more frequent water changes.

IMO I wouldn't add a pleco to an African tank. If so they need to acclimated and are probably at some point going to get killed. Yeah they have tough skin and this is why there eyes make for good targets. But then again I know people that have them and have had them for a long time. Different tanks mean different tempers etc...

You can go by the "book" all the time or ride the wave some of the time. But it's no fun sitting on the shore ;)

Last edited:
Convict2161 said:
I have a red tailed "shark" in my African tank and he's been there since day one with no issues. I have about 4 different species of loaches and 1 Synodontis catfish. But don't just rely on them for an algae problem. Like others have said, turning lights off and keeping them off for a time period will help along with more frequent water changes.

IMO I wouldn't add a pleco to an African tank. If so they need to acclimated and are probably at some point going to get killed. Yeah they have tough skin and this is why there eyes make for good targets. But then again I know people that have them and have had them for a long time. Different tanks mean different tempers etc...

You can go by the "book" all the time or ride the wave some of the time. But it's no fun sitting on the shore ;)

Yeah, well be warned about the Shark. Mine got along with everyone swimmingly :) with no issues for months. Then one day he was headless and gutless. No warning at all.

Yeah, well be warned about the Shark. Mine got along with everyone swimmingly :) with no issues for months. Then one day he was headless and gutless. No warning at all.

I know this thread is a week old but....looking for opinions

How about a Chinese Algae Eater?

I have one with my Africans he was a "left over" (original Inhabitant) and so far so good.

They tend to be aggressive when they get older. At This point there is no catching him too fast...

Back
Top Bottom