algae in tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

40galreef

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have noticed my 40 gallon tank has had a lot of algae growth and die off. It is only 1 1/2 weeks old. Will this continue, or will this stop. My ammonia, nitrite are at 0. Nitrate at 5. Should I add to my clean up crew?

Sounds like you are rushing into this. Adding a bigger clean up crew will not help. At 1.5 weeks, the tank is still getting balanced and you are going to see lots of algae and diatoms. Patience is key.

Did you add any ammonia or a dead shrimp and then test parameters? If it's only been a week and a half I doubt you've cycled.

Be on the lookout for ammonia readings, I would test frequently.

as far as the algae, are you overfeeding and what's your light cycle like? Those factors can encourage algae growth. :)

I did the shrimp test and everything stayed at 0, except 5 ppm nitrate. I leave the light on about 12 hours a day.

The shrimp has to acutally rot away causing ammonia levels of up to 8ppm. Then after the ammonia goes down the nitrites have to spike as well, then THOSE have to drop all by themselves to 0.

Sounds like you've got a partially cycled tank at best. i woudl go easy on adding anything further to avoid a huge spike. the fish you have now may cause a spike as well.....

Back
Top Bottom