algae infestation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tarpon

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi, one of my tanks has become infested with algae. This hasn't happened to any of my other tanks. I'm thinking this one might be more susceptible because of its location next to the window, but the blinds are normally closed and the window has reflective tape. Anyone know why this one grows algae much faster and easier, and fish-safe methods to prevent it?

Thanks

Ps: don't ask why I let it get that bad...lol. and yes, I know I can scrape it off but I'm leaving some for my CAE's. I'm just curious as to cause and future prevention

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20110701_232145.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110701_232145.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 141
Thanks a lot. That was very informative. I was also wondering if algae provided benefits to the tank like plants do. Is it only considered bad bc of its visual distaste?

i have gills said:
Thanks a lot. That was very informative. I was also wondering if algae provided benefits to the tank like plants do. Is it only considered bad bc of its visual distaste?

Glad to help. I think it does add benefits just like plants and algae is a natural part of any FW enviro I've ever been in, but some consider it bad because of what you wrote.

Hmmm.....I think ill keep the algae at the back of the tank in then...as it adds contrast and acts as a sort of background

i have gills said:
Hmmm.....I think ill keep the algae at the back of the tank in then...as it adds contrast and acts as a sort of background

Yep, I leave the backwall alone so my snails have something to munch on. I was trying to get algae to grow on a cool piece of DW, but my new (white mystery) snail decided it was a salad bar and wiped it clean :p.

Haha yeah...I caught some snails from my local pond and they mowed down algae...but when it ran out they died:(

Back
Top Bottom