Algae on only some plant leaves.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jan4scuba

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi everyone. I was wondering if I can get some advice from the experts.

I'm experiencing green algae growing on my Golden Nesea as well as on my anubias. All my other plants are not having any problems. This had started before dosing with PPS PRO and switching over to BML Dutch Plant LEDs but has seem to gotten worse. Plenty of water flow, I have shrimp and SAE but they are not making a dent. The lights are on abt 10 hrs a day.
I've tried H2o2 but it hasn't gotten rid of it. I would hate to lose these plants. They are integral to the scape.
Any suggestions?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Have you ID'd the algae type? Also are you injecting CO2 or dosing liquid carbon? I'd start by cutting the photoperiod to 7 to 8 hours max. What size tank and do you know approx. how much PAR you're getting out of the BML?

It looks to be 2 types of Algae. Photos attached. View attachment 248980View attachment 248981

Par is around 80 for the Nasea and maybe 60 for the Anabias. I have injected CO2 at 1bbl per second and the tank is an Eheim 9 gallon.
Thanks
J

Picture link doesn't work for me.

Try upping the co2 a little bit. Do you have a drop checker? What does it read?

Algae will grow when lighting, fertilizer, and co2 are out of balance, especially when plants are growing slowly (for whatever reason).

Drop checker shows light green as it's supposed go. I'm don't want to gas my invertebrates. I'll up it a little to see what happens. Is there anything that can take them manually off the surface of the leaves?

H2O2 and Excel spot dosing work. Be careful never to spot dose a crypt with H2O2. Mine melted after that.

I'm going to try that and see what happens. Will let you know.
Thanks
J

That didn't work. I actually snipped a few leaves off and tried to run it off and it wouldn't come off. It's as if it's part of the leaf. Could it be something else? A mineral deficiency or another disease? Did anyone ever have this experience?
Thanks

Yeah I can't view the attachments. Try attaching again or use photobucket.

Algae is usually attributed to not enough CO2 and too much light, intensity and/or duration. Need to find a balance by altering them. Changes don't manifest into results immediately. It's make a change, wait, observe, and make a change again.. fine tuning and repeating the process.

In terms of spot treating, take h2o2 and BBA, for example. Spot treating wouldn't kill it immediately. Usually takes 2 to 3 treatments over the coarse of several days. You'll know it's working when the BBA turns pinkish or white.

Let me know if you guys can see these images. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1409858519.996406.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1409858540.832531.jpg

Back
Top Bottom