Algae on plants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sliderfish

Aquarium Advice Addict
What is the best method to remove algae from my plants? Any tips?

I have an Amazon sword, a couple types of Crypts, a beautiful broadleafed Anubias and two plants that I though were Anubias Lanceolata when I bought em, but they are growing new leaves quickly so I am guessing that is not correct. Had them all a couple months now. The plants seem to be growing well and the sword is producing new plants already.

You can't gently rub the leaves with your finger. I have a zebra snail who, in one night, got all the algae off of every single leaf on my Anubias.

I have been rubbing the leaves, but I've accidently snapped a few leaves and I never get it off as much as I'd like to...I also want to get the tank even more heavily planted eventually and don't want to spend hrs wiping off each leaf...

I was thinking about a snail(s). What are the pros and cons of different types? I know absolutely nothing about them. I want something that adds to the tank and isn't breeding constantly.

The tank is a 29 gal which was recently hit by ick and I only saved my female GBR and a lone oto. The tank is healthy again and I am looking to restock soon starting with more otos.

I don't mean to add on too much, but how much light do my plants need in respect to time with lights on? I'd like to keep them on enough to view the tank, but keep them off enough to keep algae at bay as much as possible. Can I turn on the light off and on in short intervals (a few hrs at a time) without messing with the fish or plants?

Thanks! I have done some quick reading (will look into it more) and it seems they are sensitive to some metals. Are they OK with ferts? I use osmocote plus buried around an inch or more and liquid ferts every two weeks +/-...

sliderfish said:
Thanks! I have done some quick reading (will look into it more) and it seems they are sensitive to some metals. Are they OK with ferts? I use osmocote plus buried around an inch or more and liquid ferts every two weeks +/-...

I used root tabs. Haven't had an issue so far. I haven't tried liquid ferts. Maybe someone else has experience with that. I love my nerites though. They get around my 55g really well.

sliderfish said:
I have been rubbing the leaves, but I've accidently snapped a few leaves and I never get it off as much as I'd like to...I also want to get the tank even more heavily planted eventually and don't want to spend hrs wiping off each leaf...

I was thinking about a snail(s). What are the pros and cons of different types? I know absolutely nothing about them. I want something that adds to the tank and isn't breeding constantly.

The tank is a 29 gal which was recently hit by ick and I only saved my female GBR and a lone oto. The tank is healthy again and I am looking to restock soon starting with more otos.

I don't mean to add on too much, but how much light do my plants need in respect to time with lights on? I'd like to keep them on enough to view the tank, but keep them off enough to keep algae at bay as much as possible. Can I turn on the light off and on in short intervals (a few hrs at a time) without messing with the fish or plants?

I have my lights on timers.
4 hours on/4 off/4 on ..then off till morning.
You can reduce lighting to 6 hours a day if needed. Try adding Excel or CO2 also.

Make sure Nitrates stay within reason and keep up water changes.

More plants :)

Back
Top Bottom