Algae or dying plants????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kimlafeiet

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have a 20g tall tank, moderately planted with low light plants: java fern, anubias, hornwort, crypt, amazon sword and bacopa caroliniana. PFS substrate, seachem root tabs, weekly dosing with seachem flourish, no c02. Java and anubias attached to driftwood.
Lighting is a stock hood with 2 screw in bulbs, 10w 5000k each. On a timer from noon to 8pm daily.
Bacopa and hornwort are growing nicely, crypt and sword are growing and producing new shoots/leaves, java and anubias looks about the same, however, I am noticing on the crypt and anubias, the top of some of the leave are getting brown spots. Not dark brown, a lighter brown, and I am not sure if they are dying, or if this is maybe some type of algae?
This is my first planted tank, so I really have no idea whats what in the planted world. Also, the original 2 large leaves on my sword are turning yellow and obviously dying at the top, but the new leaves are beautiful, and I assume this is because the plant was not fully emersed when I bought it (came in a tube from lfs with roots in gel).

Any thoughts? Should I add a liquid c02 dosing to the schedule? I don't want to get into high tech c02, and I think my lights are ok for low light, not too bright................

Last edited:
Tough call without a picture. Any chance you can hook us up with one?

That being said, you can always benefit from adding liquid carbon supplements. Excel is super simple to work with as you can just follow the directions on it and be fine.

I will post a pic when I get home tonight.
Does anyone have any experience with the C02 booster by API? My lfs only sells that brand, I would have to order the Excel online, but would prefer not to wait if I can help it.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom