Algae problem can't figure out cause

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

litebrite8765

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have brown algae coating some of my wisteria leaves and I can't figure out what I should do to get rid of it. The tank is 37 gallons tall, about 18 inches from substrate to top of tank, and the light (48w t5ho 6000k) is suspended about two inches above that. I dose liquid co2 but don't use any ferts besides root tabs from peabodys. The light is on about 9-10 hours a day. Could this be the problem?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1406155785.919160.jpg
    ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1406155785.919160.jpg
    252.8 KB · Views: 61
I do 40% wc a week and my nitrates are around 5ppm.

Are you positive its algae? if its just the lower leaves they may be dying. My water wisteria regularly loses its bottom leaves and grows new ones at the top. Not sure why. :neutral: if you don't see algae anywhere else this may be the case. I have algae right now too. :ermm:

Are you positive its algae? if its just the lower leaves they may be dying. My water wisteria regularly loses its bottom leaves and grows new ones at the top. Not sure why. :neutral: if you don't see algae anywhere else this may be the case. I have algae right now too. :ermm:

It's actually mostly near the top and I'm positive it algae

If it will wipe of easily its not algae, it's diatoms. This is normal in a newly set up tank. If its an established tank, then your tap water is high in Silicates.

If it will wipe of easily its not algae, it's diatoms. This is normal in a newly set up tank. If its an established tank, then your tap water is high in Silicates.

Is there a way to fix this? And the tank is 8 months old

First step would be to test the water for Silicate content. If it registers high, then there are a couple things to try. There is a resin that removes silicate from the water. It works mediocre. But might remove enough to solve the problem. The other method is to use a percentage of reverse osmosis water. The goal is to reduce the Silicate enough to eliminate the diatom formation. No food, no diatoms.

In a planted tank the light should be on 6-8 hours a day at most. I run. My lights on a timer on from 8-11am off 11-3 and then back on from 3-8

Back
Top Bottom