Algae question?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gleach

Aquarium Advice FINatic
It seems like immediatly after i put coral im my tank it gets brown hair alge growing on it. I tried cutting feeding down I bought a gfo and carbon reactor. I am going to try cutting my light to 8.5hrs a day. My phos is 0 nitrates 0 yet this crap just keeps coming. I just started mixing my own to/di and salt mix I hope it helps my lfs had about 0.08 tds. Imfinally making batches with 0.00 tds. I did a 20% w/c. I'm just confused I'm trying to stay patient but its like every step I take doesnt fix my problem. This algae grows in like really long thin brown hairs and it grows fast it is starting to affect my corals.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Aquarium Advice mobile app

For months you have had problems with your tank. At this point, you need to make more drastic choices than what you are doing I think. Either scrubbing it all out and start over or major water changes.

What kind of lights do you have? How old are your bulbs?

you might consider adding an extra powerhead or two, depending on the room you have.

I'd drop a couple hours off that lighting cycle for a bit.

Also, start picking that algae off the rock as you can. You'd be amazed at the dent you can make in it in 10-20 minutes a day.

I have led lights, 2 mp10w on nutrient export mode. I have been slowly dropping my lighting cycle but that is one thing I could probably stay mor consistent with. I have been blowing it off the rock with a blaster but most people have told me Manuel removal is not getting to my root cause but I'm willing to give it a shot. Do you think it could possibly be the system maturing still? I have some corals thriving this issue began just after I eradicated a cyano outbreak. Another question I have been trying to get an answer on is tds? I've heard 0.01 TDS is bad is this true could it cause an issue like mine if I keep using it?

It sounds like it could be dinos. Do you dip your new corals before putting them in your tank?

Sent from my iPhone

You've been "blowing it off the rock?" Meaning it's still floating around in your tank? Red flag there- you need to completely remove the algae from your tank. If it gets pulled off a surface but still floats around your tank, it'll just reattach somewhere else and keep on growing.

I agree with the suggestion to make more drastic changes- 6 hrs photoperiod and 50% WCs.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

It's annoying me but it's not taking over my tank it is kind of just there but I have noticed it more recently excelling a tad. I'm already doing as suggested and have taken my lighting from 12hrs a day to 8hrs, if this does not help I will take another 2 hrs off. If that doesn't work I will do a 50% w/c.

What kind of algae is it

Attachments

• 1410237866456.jpg
    1410237866456.jpg
    248.3 KB · Views: 94
Back
Top Bottom