Algae questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

flitabout

Aquarium Advice Addict
It is either bba or staghorn
1) I am spot treating with h2o2 at 3ml per gallon it bubbles on every thing but my crypt. Is that normal?
2) It had started turning colors like I would expect on everything but the crypt it is still black and spreading.
3) Would any kind of shrimp help? If so what kind do you recommend?
4) How far can I cut back my lights and still keep my plants health?
5) How often can I spot treat?
I have an Odessa 4x24w T5HOs. Currently I am only running 2 bulbs for 4 hours a day. If you need any tank stats let me know I have all of them.

You can spot treat every day for a few days in a roll but then I'd give it a week or so break and maybe next time try spot treating with liquid carbon. I also wouldn't drop lighting below 4 hours.

Is it on all the crypt leaves? I'd personally cut the leaves off and get it out of the tank and off the plant. New leaves will grow back.

Staghorn looks way different than BBA. Staghorn is strands of algae that grow and branch like antlers. BBA is fuzzy. Look at the pic's on this site.... James' Planted Tank - Algae Guide.

Here's a link that was posted a few months ago that might interest you... The "One-Two Punch" Whole Tank Algae Treatment.

I've never tried this as I'm not big into chemicals but I've even read Tom Barr posting about using AlgaeFix in tanks that have stubborn algae. BUT it won't work on BBA. Also some people have had issues during the first few hours of adding it with fish showing respiratory problems. Some lose fish others have great luck with this product. I'd do some serious reading and research on it. There are several threads about people on TPT forum who have and do use it.

Amano shrimp are your best bet for eating algae.

I am still lost on the actual type it looks sort of like both. Here is a better picture than to last batch.
This first one the algae is growing out of what looks like the little black dots. Although the detail of the algae itself is bad.

These next two show more of the algae itself

It's hard to tell if it's Fuzz algae or Oedogonium algae as they both look similar. It's not BBA or staghorn.

Back
Top Bottom