Algae will not go away

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gjw9

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I've got a 75g freshwater that has been green for almost three weeks now. There is no ammonia or nitrites, I have done 40 percent water changes every third day, I have not fed the fish very much, I am now even trying something called AlgaeFix and the green stuff will not go away. On top of this, can someone tell me how I now have snails in my aquarium. I know I didn't but any, but they are there all of a sudden. The good news is I have not lost any fish, but the tank looks really bad. Please help. Oh yea, I tried a 48 hour blackout also. I want the green stuff gone.

What is the nitrate level? Have you bought any plants lately?

You will need longer than 48 hours for a blackout to effect the algae.

Since you have not bought plants, I'm not sure where the snails came from. Can you describe the snails?

The snails would come on any plants that you buy, but if you don't have any then they must be those spontaneously appearing snails... 8)

There was a person around here that had a huge problem with algae and since he knew the lfs owner very well, the lfs loned him a uv sterilizer (used for ponds) and the aglae was gone in no time and hasn't appeared since.

i used to have pretty bad algae probs, but now that I've introduced 6 hrs on/2 hrs off/6 hrs on/12 hrs off timer for my light I have negligible algae growth. This is supposed to be helpful b/c the more primitive photosynthetic process of the algae cannot adequately cope with an interrupted light source that more evolved plants can.

I've had snails come in on fish before. I know it sounds absurd, but that's the last thing I added to my tank before the snails showed up.

As far as the algae growth, I've been working on controlling that as well. I've been trying 4.5 hours on 2 hours off, 4.5 hours on, for a week now. The algae is not looking worse, possibly a bit better.

You can rent a diatom filter - that will cure green water, but as mentioned, excess nutrients and light will contribute.

If you bought a fish and when it was netted a tiny snail was on the net, then it got into the bag, and you (perhaps) dumped the bag contents into your tank wtih the fish, the snail could be introduced.

Back
Top Bottom