algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mattmku

Aquarium Advice Freak
My nitrates are at 0, I'm using only ro/di water and I'm using a remora skimmer, but i still am getting quite a bit of green algae. Any ideas why?

Everytime you feed your fish you are adding a source of nitrate and phosphate. Even with the most elaborate system there will always be enough nutrients for algae to grow. Nitrates may read 0 but that's because the algae is utilizing it as it is created. Do you have a sufficient clean up crew?

20 gallon tank...about a dozen tiny blue legged hermits and about 6-7 small ruby mythrax crabs (came with the rock). I plan on getting a few snails and maybe some more hermits.

Get a mix of snails, the more types of clean up critters you have, the better. My Hermits do not touch some of the hair algae I had, but the snails ate right through it.

I'm not trying to take over this thread but heres one for you. I have no fish in the tank and havnt fed in over a week and a half. I have changed a total of 60 gallons of water in this time using rodi water. I'm getting green hair looking algae,not much but more than i want along with the red algae.
Water is
Am.0
no2 0
no3 0
ph 8.2
po4 0
I know I dont have near enough of a clean up crew right now but why would this be growing under these conditions. The only thhing i can come to is their are a lot of nutrients in the sand bed from not having enough of a clean up crew in the past and it's now staring to show with the lack of fish in the tank. I'm going to get a more pronounced clean up crew tonight to see what this does.

do you have live rock? How much? How new is it? if it is new was it cured?

Dying material on live rock may attribute to enough waste to attribute to algae. also hitch hikers on the live rock may attribute to it also..

Just remember everyone, some algae is a GOOD sign of a healthy tank. If you can not even get some algae to grow, how do you think corals would manage ;)

Thumper, since your profile says you have 150g tank, a 60 gallon water change is only a 40% change. There is still plenty of left over nutrients in there. If you keep doing water changes you will eventually hit a point of equilibrium and the bad algea's will start to die off. Improper lighting can also be cause additional problems.

Back
Top Bottom