Algea help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Philip99

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have recently been noticing the growth of this awful looking algae

image-3077952396.jpg

image-228226440.jpg

image-1256693876.jpg

Is there anyway to remove/ get rid of it?

Tank specs 55g
2x 54w 6700k bulbs
Fluorite substrate
DIY co2
Fuval c4 HOB filter

Dosing excel every day 5ml
Kno3 once a week to maintain 10ppm nitrate
Flourish iron

Levels
Ph 7.6
Nitrate 10ppm
Nitrite 0ppm
Ammonia 0ppm

Lights on for 8hrs a day

That is Cyanobacteria, or what many call blue-green algae. One sure way to treat it is to use a round of Maracyn. Mardel says the Maracyn (erythromycin doesn't affect the biological bacteria, but I'm not sure I totally believe that), talked to a guy who said he just dosed his tank with it way the package said and said it worked great. Said he tried blacking out his tank first which didn't work. But I know it will return if the underlying condition causing it isn't addressed. Also did you check you phosphates? Your nitrates are fine. Maybe someone else who's actually dealt with it can add additional information.

I usually get that when I let my nitrates get too low. High light also contributes. I've also heard that poor tank maintenance, high organic content, and poor circulation may be involved in some cases.

The pain is that even if you fix it, it will keep growing until you beat it. I've seen three methods for treating BGA:

1) Black out. It's never worked for me and I've only actually heard of it working a handful of times.

2) H2O2 spot treating. It will certainly kill it, but you're going to have to be working on it regularly to completely get rid of it.

3) Antibiotic. Erythromycin (Maracyn I) is what I usually use, and dose according to the instructions. I've done this several times, and I've never had it damage my biofilter. You might see an ammonia spike, which is what makes some people think that they hurt the biofilter, but this is actually from the death of the BGA.

aqua_chem said:
I usually get that when I let my nitrates get too low. High light also contributes. I've also heard that poor tank maintenance, high organic content, and poor circulation may be involved in some cases.

The pain is that even if you fix it, it will keep growing until you beat it. I've seen three methods for treating BGA:

1) Black out. It's never worked for me and I've only actually heard of it working a handful of times.

2) H2O2 spot treating. It will certainly kill it, but you're going to have to be working on it regularly to completely get rid of it.

3) Antibiotic. Erythromycin (Maracyn I) is what I usually use, and dose according to the instructions. I've done this several times, and I've never had it damage my biofilter. You might see an ammonia spike, which is what makes some people think that they hurt the biofilter, but this is actually from the death of the BGA.

Where abouts can I get maracyn 1?

Alright should
I then remove the carbon from my filter in order to prevent it from neutralizing the maracyn 1?

It's always best if possible to remove carbon when treating with meds but I had to use Maracyn 1 on the goldfish once not too long ago and I think I remember reading that you don't have to with that med. Don't quote me on that as I don't have any of that med on hand. But if you goggle the Mardel site I know it gives you run downs on use of all their meds.

Chem tech, how low it too low on nitrates? I pretty much keep mine between 10 and 20 ppm. I've read alot of people with planted tanks like to keep them at about 40ppm's but I always thought that might bring on algae problems.

Update,
i got some API E.M. erythromycin today from my local LFS, they did have the other stuff..
I just dosed the tank with 300mg of the powder and will hopefully be seeing results soon.
Ill keep everyone posted :)

Chem tech, how low it too low on nitrates?

It's not an exact number, and probably varies by tank. I would say <10 is 'at risk', and <5 is just asking for trouble. Whenever I got BGA from nitrates, I actually bottomed out (ie 0 ppm), and even once I started dosing correctly again, the BGA didn't go away until I used antibiotics.

Try rooibos tea. I hear it works surprisingly well. Don't know a whole lot about it myself but just a tip.

easiest way for me was hydrogen peroxide, super cheap and usually does it in a few days. Just use a syringe to apply the peroxide directly to the BGA blue-green algae. Turn off your filters prior then wait 10-15 minutes then turn them back on. Then repeat each day. Do not use more then 3ml of peroxide per gallon of water. Peroxide dissipates in a few hours so I was able to spot treat every 3-4 hours. For my last dose I just treated the whole tank with 2.5ml per gallon and it has yet to come back.

Maracyn is very expensive in my opinion especially those with larger tanks.

Also if you have snails that you want to keep remove them prior as well as this can kill them. Fish and plants are unaffected if you stay below 3ml/gal

All your doing is oxygenation the areas affected as BGA hates oxygen from what I understand.

I agree with the advise to test your water frequently and watch for an ammonia spike after you finish treating the tank. Maracyn worked well for me but I did have a ammonia spike following treatment due to the dead cyano.

Bbarb27 said:
I agree with the advise to test your water frequently and watch for an ammonia spike after you finish treating the tank. Maracyn worked well for me but I did have a ammonia spike following treatment due to the dead cyano.

Alright thanks, I have been testing the water daily and the ammonia has not spikes yet. I'll continue testing at a daily level until the treatment is over

Update all the GBA has died with out an ammonia spike.
Thanks again everyone!

Back
Top Bottom