Algea problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vero

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi

See below and myinfo for tank information. Sorry I don't have water parameters at this time.

I found an algea problem while looking at my tank this morning. It covers some of my java moss and there is a bit of it on my ambulia (looks like a cabomba). It is green (darker and bluer than the java moss) and it looks slimy. It pearls.

As you can see, I have an algea crew but they are not good workers: the shrimps always stay on the same part of the piece of wood and the otos are always on the glass. Neither ever go on the ground or on the plants (How come?). So I will have to find another way of getting rid of the algea. I add 1ml of excel every few days. I don't know if that is enough or too much but this is what is recommended on the bottle (I think they recommend every day but it sounded too much to me). I also add 5ml of exel flourish when I do my pwc (about once every two weeks).

What else can I do?

Thanks
Vero

It sounds like BGA. The usual culprets are Nitrates bottoming out or poor circulation. Is it growing in a low water movement area?

You need to get us a Nitrate number to see what is going on.

By the way adding the excel everyday will not hurt anything and may very well help.

Hi,

Thanks for your answer.

What would be the full name for BGA?

Yes, it is in a low circulation areau (bottom of the tank, away from the filter outflow).

My nitrates have always been very low. In fact, I have never seen any nitrates. I know hat sound weird but I just can't get any... This aquarium has been running for over six months in this current state. I don't have any ammonia either so I conclude that the cycle is done.

Vero

Blue Green Algae aka Cyano.

Your plants are using the Nitrates up. You need to add some. Potassium Nitrate is the easiest way. I am sure your cycle is done.

vero said:
Hi,

Thanks for your answer.

What would be the full name for BGA?
blue-green algae, AKA Cynobacteria
Yes, it is in a low circulation areau (bottom of the tank, away from the filter outflow).

My nitrates have always been very low. In fact, I have never seen any nitrates. I know hat sound weird but I just can't get any... This aquarium has been running for over six months in this current state. I don't have any ammonia either so I conclude that the cycle is done.

Vero
you will need to give exact numbers, but i am guessing you will need to start dosing ferts.... Nitrates as well as phosphates, potassium and trace w/ iron

Sorry for taking so long to answer.

I finally tested the water: pH 7.8, Ammonium 0, nitrite 0, nitrate 0, hardness 13 (it is high, no?) I'm using aquarium pharmaceutical, except nutrafin for nitrate.

I add Flourish Comprehensive Plant Supplement (1ml every two days).

I thought that Flourish would be enough for fertilization. What else should I add?

Thanks

P.S.: the algea is really taking over now; it's even on the glass. I keep the lights turned off but it doesn't change anything. Should I do more water changes ? Or none at all? I usually do a 20% every two weeks or so.

Flourish Comprehensive takes care of the trace nutrients only. You definately need to dose Nitrates, as yours have bottomed out. Most likely you'll need to dose both Phosphates and Potassium as well.

Well... I'm really surprised! I bought Flourish Comprehensive thinking that it would contain everything I needed to fertilize (dictionary says comprehensive = including all)! It does seem to have everything, according to the bottle: nitrogen, phosphate, potassium, calcium, magnesium, sulfur, boron, chlorine, cobalt, copper, iron, manganese, etc.

So...I looked at what else Seechem has to offer. I can buy separate bottles of potassium, nitrogen, and phosphorus.

Is there a product that is a all-in-one? Or maybe two products: one that does potassium-nitrogen-phosphorus and another one for traces (iron and others)?

Thanks

Flourish Comprehensive does have everything in it, but not nearly enough Nitrate, Phosphate or Potassium. It does have plenty of micro nutrients though, which is why many people (myself included) use it for dosing micros.

You can buy the Macro nutrients in liquid form from Seachem, but this can get very spendy, as you can go through a bottle in a week or two. Greg Watson sells dry versions of these nutrients which lots of folks use to make their own mixes, for far less $$$

Here is a good site on algea: http://www.aquariumalgae.blogspot.com/

Scroll down to the last one to read up on BGA.

It's impossible to dose everything at once, from the simple fact that the Phosphate will make the iron fall out of solution making it unusable by the plants.

While there are some all in on fertilizers available, they make the faulty assumption that all tanks are the same and need to be dosed with the same ratio of ferts. By dosing the macros separately it give you more control over your nutrient levels. This in turn makes it easier to grow your plants well and fight algae. This gives you a bit more that you have to learn up front, but it really isn't that bad once you actually start working with the dosing levels.

OK. So I've started dosing NPK. I decided to add it every day until I start seeing some nitrate. Then will cut back to every 2-3 days and restart doing pwc.

What will happen to the algea that is already there? Will it die off and disappear?

Bonjour

J'aime bien Aquarius sur Jean-Talon. Ils ont ne belle sélection de poissons et de plantes. Souvent les prix sont plus bas que dans les chaînes. Il y a aussi BigAl's dans l'ouest de l'île

Translation for our friends:

I like Aquarius on Jean-Talon Street. They have a nice selection of fish and plants. Their prices are often lower than in chain pet stores. There is also Big Als in the west island...

Well,

I did a big clean up of my tank. I was able to get most of the algae off of the plants. It would come off quite easily, except for what was on the java moss. Of course it was floating everywhere, so I did a 40% water change and was able to pick up most of it.

The tank looks much nicer now. I hope that it will stay like this. I will try to get into a nice fertilizer schedule... Wish me luck!

Thanks for your help

Vero

Good luck Vero! It's worth the effort!
I am also recuperating from an algae disaster (150 gal. tank full of it, LOL)
Remember, each tank is different, what works for one might not work for you, but in general, the more you research on here, the better you will get at it.

A powerhead helped me when I got BGA, Directing the flow directly to that spot and a PWC....then of course balancing ferts....and it never returned.

Back
Top Bottom