Algea

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Algae eaters, although an obvious answer, are the best natural way to deal with it. There are some that grow big, and i mean ten inches or so. The best I have ever had are called ottocinclus, but are shortened to 'ottos'. These grow no more than one to two inches so are great for a small tank, but as there is so little nutrients on algae they just eat and eat and eat and as a result, there is very little algae in my tank. Ottos are also cheap, about £2.50 each

It depends on your algae problem. Different types of algae are caused by different things, although there are some general things you can do to prevent algae (in non-planted tanks):

Limit your lighting to 8-10h per day with a timer.
Don't have too much light or have an aquarium where it can get direct sunlight.
Do water changes.
Don't overstock your tank.

I have green bubble algea, beard algea, and green hair algea. Today I bought two Plecos 3 naeirth snails, 3 amonoe shrimp for my clean up crew. My other fish are 10 rasbora and two cory catfish and two rummy nose tetra.

It depends on your algae problem. Different types of algae are caused by different things, although there are some general things you can do to prevent algae (in non-planted tanks):

Limit your lighting to 8-10h per day with a timer.
Don't have too much light or have an aquarium where it can get direct sunlight.
Do water changes.
Don't overstock your tank.

This dude is right, It can be excess lights, overfeeding, excess nitrates, excess phosphates, bad nitrigen/phosphorous ratio, bacterias, etc..

I have green bubble algea, beard algea, and green hair algea. Today I bought two Plecos 3 naeirth snails, 3 amonoe shrimp for my clean up crew. My other fish are 10 rasbora and two cory catfish and two rummy nose tetra.

Two pleco ? What's your tank size ? Pleco are not good cleaners IMO, and they require giants tanks...

It depends on your algae problem. Different types of algae are caused by different things, although there are some general things you can do to prevent algae (in non-planted tanks): Limit your lighting to 8-10h per day with a timer. Don't have too much light or have an aquarium where it can get direct sunlight. Do water changes. Don't overstock your tank.
+1 for this. Fix the source of the problem.

Back
Top Bottom