Alien Stow Away

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DadE02

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have been trying to grab a photo of this stow away for months, but he is too fast. Today, I was able to get a video (1sec) of him playing in the holes of my live rock.

Can anyone tell me what this little guy is and if he is a friendly stow away for my reef tank?IMG_20170409_143923.jpgIMG_20170409_144042.jpg

which hole is he in I don't see anything that stands out then I look at the second pict I see what loos like a antenna , can you describe the critter some and how big is it , do you hear any clicking sounds coming from the tank ,

He is the black guy in the right hole on the first photo (by the zoa coral).

The second photo only shows his back-end as he scampered into the top left hole.

I have a quick video of him, but don't know how to upload it as the video is 14MB.

He is black, about 1.5" long. I do hear clicking sound; however, I am not sure if it is from this little guy or the pistol shrimp that I have.

still not 100% on the Id of this critter as it is hard to get a good view ,
it's kind of hard to see but I have a hunch it may be a mantice shrimp , place a small chunk of shrimp on a skewer to lure him out so you can get a better view for a positive ID ,

this is what a mantice shrimp looks like , something you would want to remove if it is
images

If he looks like this you have 2 options for removal , your first option is a glass tilted 3/4 of the way baited with a piece of shrimp at the bottom ,

your second option remove the entire rock and do a freshwater dip he should come running out , this will also ensure theirs nothing else hidden in that rock ,

I can only hope it's not a mantice but for some odd reason I have a gut feeling it is

hopefully Hank has a better eye with a elephant slug
this is what they look like
images

keep us up to date either way

Save

Last edited:
Oh no...I have a feeling the mantice shrimp photo looks like the little bugger I have in the tank.

Is it dangerous to the other habitants?

not something you want in your tank as it will feast on everything it catches
once they start to get big fish will slowly disappear I had a gut feeling it was .
I would pull the rock soak it in freshwater in a bucket just be sure he is in the rock you pull , he will jump out of the rock prob fall to bottom of bucket , use a set of prongs to pick him up as he can punch and break a finger or 2 .

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...moving-mantis-shrimp-etc-from-lr-54662-2.html

Last edited:
The rock has corals growing on it. Wouldn't the fresh water hurt the corals?

Thanks for the help.

I'd think twice before acting until you are 100% sure it is a mantis. In all of the years I have been involved with saltwater and a member of this forum, I have only ever seen of one positive mantis hitchhiker but hundreds of pistol shrimps.

That looks like a mantis shrimp to me. A tiny one, but you still want to get it out.
An excuse to set up a nano tank. :)

I had one in my reef decade+ ago. Never saw anything but his eyes and hammers glowing in the dark with a flashlight. Never got him out. Found his body when we lost the tank due to 3 day power outage.

Back
Top Bottom