Aligator gar care

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cichlidsheaven

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi there,
I've bought some alligator gar for my self.
They are around 5inches.
Can anyone recommend what food should I be feeding them to get nice growth on them.
And one more thing, please try to give me a estimated time it will take them to grow around 10 inches with the food you will suggest?

Thanx for reading my treads and Your comment is always appreciated.

If it truly is a alligator gar it has no place in the home aquarium. I don't care how large a tank you own it's not large enough. I've personally caught alligator gar over six feet in Louisiana, with the fish easily reaching the 10' range and weighing over 300lbs. Do what you will but there are certain fish I'd live to own but there are certain fish that we should not try to keep.

Alligator Gar

I'm thinking it may be one of the smaller Gar that get 2-4' if so you will still need a huge tank, pictures would help. If it is intact a true alligator Gar then like HUKIT said you shouldn't be keeping it in any kind of aquarium/ pond.

So far I know they are true alligator gar. Sorry but all tees fish that I buy it's my business to buy and sell fish. Some fish I will sell it straight away and some fish I keep it for few month to grow them to a size I can ask for good money. I haveore then 60 fish right now and they all are American cichlids apart from buttikoferi. I personally own 5 tiger oscars and rest is my business.

Cichlidsheaven said:
So far I know they are true alligator gar. Sorry but all tees fish that I buy it's my business to buy and sell fish. Some fish I will sell it straight away and some fish I keep it for few month to grow them to a size I can ask for good money. I haveore then 60 fish right now and they all are American cichlids apart from buttikoferi. I personally own 5 tiger oscars and rest is my business.

Well then sell them to a zoo or something. Or a big aquarium like the Georgia or tennessee aquarium... They aren't pets.

Sorry guys. I've just spoken to the guy who imported them he said it's not a true gar so( i hold my hands up) it's some kind of spotted gar but his not sure which on cos he can't remember which one he sold to me till he doesn't see the file.

Attachments

• image-458792684.jpg
    image-458792684.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 683
Regardless of what they are.... just because you can make a buck off them doesn't mean you should. Please be hobby responsible and avoid fish that should be left alone in the wild.

HN1 said:
Regardless of what they are.... just because you can make a buck off them doesn't mean you should. Please be hobby responsible and avoid fish that should be left alone in the wild.

Thanx for your advice but sorry to say this I live in Uk and if these fish are not for aquarium then the government won't allow these kind of fish in the country cos our lake and rivers are freezing cold. So running a aquatic business means making money on any fish that is allowed to keep in a aquarium in Uk and not cos USA doesn't allow!

Then ship em to the US. They just don't belong in an aquarium. Take it from us in the US that've seen them in the wild... They just don't belong.

Homedog98 said:
Then ship em to the US. They just don't belong in an aquarium. Take it from us in the US that've seen them in the wild... They just don't belong.

It will be nice if people stop exporting these fish out to Uk. If it comes in Uk then we have buyers left right centre waiting to get their hands on these predator and highly aggressive fish. So why shouldn't I make money as a middle man!

Cichlidsheaven said:
It will be nice if people stop exporting these fish out to Uk. If it comes in Uk then we have buyers left right centre waiting to get their hands on these predator and highly aggressive fish. So why shouldn't I make money as a middle man!

Because it's not fair to the fish. I'm not saying we have to start buying fish their own apartments, but give them at least a bit of consideration. You don't just let a human baby grow up in a 4 by 4 foot closet do you? I'm serious... Try an aquarium or a zoo. You could still make $.

Homedog98 said:
Because it's not fair to the fish. I'm not saying we have to start buying fish their own apartments, but give them at least a bit of consideration. You don't just let a human baby grow up in a 4 by 4 foot closet do you? I'm serious... Try an aquarium or a zoo. You could still make $.

Cos of all these imports, fish such as like giant snakeheads, payara vampire, giant wolf fish even Goliath became common for zoo and aquariums so people with 200 -300 gallon tanks are buying them.

Cichlidsheaven said:
Cos of all these imports, fish such as like giant snakeheads, payara vampire, giant wolf fish even Goliath became common for zoo and aquariums so people with 200 -300 gallon tanks are buying them.

Man... That just ain't right. So you wouldn't be willing to ship to a zoo or aquarium in the U.S?

Thanx for your advice but sorry to say this I live in Uk and if these fish are not for aquarium then the government won't allow these kind of fish in the country cos our lake and rivers are freezing cold. So running a aquatic business means making money on any fish that is allowed to keep in a aquarium in Uk and not cos USA doesn't allow!

Regardless of what your government allows, it is irresponsible to the natural world in general and the fish in particular to keep them in aquariums. Simply atrocious to profit from them IMO. Without demand (you bought them to resale right?), they will leave the hobby. Very few people are able to keep monster fish appropriately and they are constantly given a bad name by barely pubescent new aquarists. So, what aquatic business do you run? Do you have a website?

HN1 said:
Regardless of what your government allows, it is irresponsible to the natural world in general and the fish in particular to keep them in aquariums. Simply atrocious to profit from them IMO. Without demand (you bought them to resale right?), they will leave the hobby. Very few people are able to keep monster fish appropriately and they are constantly given a bad name by barely pubescent new aquarists. So, what aquatic business do you run? Do you have a website?

There's a Demand for those predator fish all the time but hard to come by. If uk grov thought keeping these fish is irresponsible they strictly would ban them unless you provide licence document from zoo.
Now I try my level best to provide enough info about the fish I sell so they know what they getting. Like the other day I sold a red snakehead to this customer who swapped all his fish to empty the tank for the snakehead cos untold him he won't be able to keep with any kind of fish doesn't matter those fish are bigger then the snakehead.

My website is www.cichlidsheaven.co.uk but currently doing renovation to my fish house so not selling at the moment.

Just because the government allows it doesn't make it right, at some point the fish will outgrow their current home and either it's stunted, is euthanized or worse gets let loose into the wild. Why do you think almost every state in the US has kill if caught law on snakeheads because they are a invasive species that wreaks havoc on out eco systems, now how do you think they got there...yup some moron let them loose after purchasing them. Maybe your government will wise up and stop the sale of those types of fish before they harm your rivers and lakes.

HUKIT said:
Just because the government allows it doesn't make it right, at some point the fish will outgrow their current home and either it's stunted, is euthanized or worse gets let loose into the wild. Why do you think almost every state in the US has kill if caught law snakeheads because they are a invasive species that wreaks havoc on out eco systems, now how do you think they got there...yup some moron let them loose after purchasing them. Maybe your government will wise up and stop the sale of those types of fish before they harm your rivers and lakes.

Hukit you know I respect your thoughts and advice but funny thing is I can't see snakeheads living in our rivers and lake cos the water is like ice cold with a ice layer. Even in summer when the outside temperature will hit average 22c no chance rivers and lake will even get close to 2-3 celsius.

As you know I mainly keep cichlids but now and then I get these fish from swap or my supplier will give one or two for dead cheap. If I don't by it someone else will do then why not I make some money by doing it so.

Then why not rescue it, sell it to someone not planning on making it a pet, and still make $?

I understand making money, I own a gun store which is a much more dangerous and volatile business than selling fish but you have to draw the line somewhere and make a moral decision that there are more important things than money.

I've said my peace, and can't make you stop so I'll stop preaching now

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom