All because my son won a gold fish!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rdtrbl

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi im new here. Heres a little about me.
Im not a stranger to fish tanks, my ex kept 50 something gallon salt water tank. Later in life I kept a 20 gallon fresh water tank, once I had my first kiddo I gave it away as I couldnt seem to keep a darn fish alive at that point. Over the summer my 6 year old won a gold fish at a party. It was a hearty gold fish that did gold fish racing at a white trash themed party haha. So I got him a little tank, and then he insisted it needed a friend....Oh joy. Well i gave in knowing they were dirty fish and that tank was too small, but hey it was cheap the fish was cheap and if they died oh well no big deal.......Well I killed them, one had fin rot and the medication i used too much of the medication as its directions were for a 10 gallon tank, his little tank wasnt even 5gallons. Oh boy was he devastated, more so than i thought he would. Soooooo I had to make it up to him and look a jump and got him a 10 gallon tank but told him no gold fish, we will get some thing better. He ended up with a mollie. Cool beans! My son is ADHD and has been having some bad behavioral issues so this momma thought hey new tank, grand idea.....Lets use the tank as a reward system! So for each week he earned either a new fish or a decoration for the tank until the tank shouldnt have any more. He has nice tank with two mollies and two African dwarf frogs, and nice rock shelter, a couple fake plants with a goal to upgrade to silk plants and a little terra cotta pot turned on its side for the frogs. Its very simple and I think im more entertained by it than he is :)
Im just here to brows and ask questions or get answers as needed. This is all new to me again... Ive forgotten how much work can go into getting the tank to be self sufficient for the most part, weve already successfully battled ick with out chemicals and everyone survived. Lots to learn still.
Thanks,
Red

welcome to AA

my wife won this guy at a fair a few years ago
it was the game you toss ping pong balls into small tanks
boy he got big lol about 6 inches now

Attachments

• beware of jaws 015.jpg
    beware of jaws 015.jpg
    252.5 KB · Views: 80
Welcome aboard!
Keep up the water changes and you will be fine.
10% per day at a minimum and you will not see sickness or disease.
Aged water is the best! Try to avoid using chemicals if you can.
Good luck.......Dwayne

Back
Top Bottom