All female Platy's

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sera

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Is All Female Platy's Okay?

So I have three high fin, two sunburst, one gold twinbar and two red micky mouse Platy's, all female. My question is... Is it okay to keep an all female group like this? Someone pointed out to me it might be cruel to not have any males, is this true?

I know they can still give birth a number of times without a male (already had a few batches of fry but moms ate them up... I've gotten a breeder box for the next set). I'm not really wanting many more platys, I want to keep some of the high fin fry but the main reason for no males is population control!

Any ideas or opinions on an all female group?

Sent from my E2306 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Any ideas or opinions on an all female group?

I don't see why this would be a problem, unless a dominant female was beating up on the others. Platys don't become egg-bound like egg-laying females can (bettas, for example).

I wish I had bought all females: I bought a group of five with two males and now have platys everywhere. :drinking:

Thanks for the reply! None of the females have shown any dominate or aggressive behavior. They were a bit stressed by my male guppies but I've rehomed those fellas and my platies are much happier!

Lol I can imagine that's a lot of platys! And they just keep going ? I originally had a few males but they would stress out the ladies despite a 1:3 ratio so I traded the gents for my highfins. Now I don't have to worry about being overrun lol

Sent from my E2306 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom