All Fish Acting Weird {Video Link} Help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Everlasting

Aquarium Advice Regular
I did a full clean out of my tank on Saturday and all of the fish were doing well yesterday. I get home from work today and everyone is acting strange. They are sporadically darting all over the tank (but not rubbing themselves on anything). The smaller fish (barbs, platies, ram, etc) are all hanging out in a cluster near the bottom of the tank, and a few of them are gasping. The larger gourami is hanging out at the top of the tank but he too is doing this weird darting behaviour occassionally. My rainbow shark and loach are laying very closer together on a peice of drift wood.

I have and angelfish who I posted about previous who seems to be ill and has something wrong with his eye. I've treated him for fungus and internal parasites but this hasn't done anything. He is acting mostly normal right now other than occassionally swimming at a 45 degree angle, but when I first turned the light on in the tank it looked as though in certain spots there was come clear stringy stuff coming off of him with extremely small bubbles in it. The top of the tank also looks liek it's got very small bubbles floating around at the top which is not normal.

All my readings are coming back fine and did before I put any of the fish back into the new water. My anomnia had a reading of .5 Saturday when I first put them back in but it read 0 as of yesterday. My pH is 7.6 but that is normal and what these fish are used to. My nitrites and Nitrates are reading 0.

I took a short video of their behaviour to see if this helps, just click ont he video and it should bring you to my photobucket and play:

What are you using for the testing? If you had ammonia yesterday, and none today, but you have 0 nitrates, I would be suspicious.
I would do large water changes for a few days and see if that helps.

I would agree about the ammonia/nitrates. Plants/algae can absorb some amount of ammonia, but I didn't see any live plants or algae. If you ammonia went down to zero, and there are no nitrates/nitrites, one of your tests was probably faulty, unless you have like ammocarb in your filter, but then the ammonia shouldn't have really registered the first time. If you have a strip test kit, there's a good liquid test kit at the Walmart online store, for like 18$.

Can you define "full clean"?

Also, are the gills on the fish inflamed at all?

i agree with the people above but just another thought i noticed your substrate in the pic above if that is "black beauty" let me know because i almost got this substrate until i heard nasty rumors about it which later were confirmed facts ..i personally suggest changing it

No I use the liquid test kits. And by full tank clean I mean I pulled out all of the fish, all of the decorations, sand, etc and scrubbed everything down. None of the fishes gills are inflammed, i'm just mostly confused about these extremely tiny bubbles or particles that appear to be in the tank at the top and floating around.

And the substrate is not black beauty it's black Tahitian moon sand. I'm fairly certain they are different, black beauty is mostly metallic slag isn't it?

What should the Nitrates be reading? I know Nitrites should be at zero but should there be nitrates present?

So you took everything out and cleaned? Why? Did you clean the filter and media too?
What kind of dechlorinator do you use? I used AquaSafe once, and I had bubbles EVERYWHERE.
Nitrates should be between 5-40 ppm.

I took everything out and cleaned it all because I was getting algea onto my driftwood and the plants etc. It had been over a year since i fully cleaned everything.

I replaced the filter cartridge and cleaned the pump as well. I use a Penguin pump with a biowheel so all the biologicals are on that, and i didnt do any cleaning to that of course.

I actually did use Aquasafe, which i normlally dont. i usually use Prime or Jungle conditioner but i had a pack of aqua safe that was large enough to treat the tank. I wonder if thats the cause of the bubbles then? Ill do a water change when I get home from work. Is there anything else I should do to try and alleviate the apparent stress all the fish are under?

sounds like your having a cycle again. you shouldnt clean everything in the tank. even though the filter is the main source of beneficial bacteria, theres also beneficial bacteria in the substrate, decorations and sides of the glass. you said you changed the filter cartridge as well? that would do a number on the parameters

ok yah sorry i just want to prevent people from going through what i did haha sorry about that glad its the sand im gettin that for my 55 soon

Back
Top Bottom