All-Glass stand Failing!?! - UPDATED

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
FWIW you did give me piece of mind. I too have a 72 and stand. I recently tore down the setup and made arrangements for it to become a SW reef which is substanstially heavier. Today before filling it I reinforced the front center brace from behind with a snug fitting 2X4 and placed two more vertical braces on the back. This setup is nearly 2 years old and I have never had a problem with it, but after adding 200+ lbs to what was the freshwater load and nearly $2000 worth of gear and stock I'll sleep better now, so thank you.

I had something like that in mind too, but didn't have time to get anything together before putting the tank on it. I'm a little nervous about nailing or screwing anything into the shady center support while its supporting weight. How did you attach the 2x4s anyway?

Today I got to drive back out 45 minutes to turn in the old stand, get more attitude, and drive 45 minutes back. A few more hours with hands in the tank and the driftwood and almost all of the plants are back in. Its surprising how different replanting plants with full roots is than the ones you buy at the store.

The good news is this is enough to cure MTS for a few months.

tsonnenl said:
I had something like that in mind too, but didn't have time to get anything together before putting the tank on it. I'm a little nervous about nailing or screwing anything into the shady center support while its supporting weight. How did you attach the 2x4s anyway?

Today I got to drive back out 45 minutes to turn in the old stand, get more attitude, and drive 45 minutes back. A few more hours with hands in the tank and the driftwood and almost all of the plants are back in. Its surprising how different replanting plants with full roots is than the ones you buy at the store.

The good news is this is enough to cure MTS for a few months.

Not the best of cures, but a cure none the less i'll bet!

If you decide to build your own and you decide to let the lumber yard do the cutting, make sure you tip the guys well and tell them in advance. I used to work at a yard and had many people wanting special cuts. Believe me, we had more pressing issues then cutting down lumber for someone. I was always nice about making sure my cuts were good, but a few fellow coworkers would just get it done as fast as possible and not make sure the cuts were good.

I would definitely call them and see what they will do for you. If nothing, then measure the inside and renfoced the top with some 2x4's. Even adding a few supports in the middle will help that box significantly.

Ugh, tsonnenl, that sounds like no fun at all. That stinks that you had to go through all that. See, I would have been wussy too when talking to the people. I hate getting attitude.

And good *tip*, wxboilermaker!

Back
Top Bottom