"All I want is to have my Piece of Mind"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Labenator65000

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Funny thing is that 75% of you won't get that reference....

Anyway, this is one of those real-world "lessons learned" that I personally have always found vaulable. I finally decided to to the right thing and lose the ornery Ps.Johannii that had been terrorizing my Labs and Peacocks for the past several months. It was a difficult decision. The Johannii had been an impulse purchase after being (ill)advsied by my LFS that it was "safe to coexists with peaceful cichlids as long as there are no females." This and other forums advised that it was too aggressive for it's tank-mates, that I should lose it or risk suffering the consequences. However, I was determined that mine would be the exeption to the rule, so darn the torpedoes. As the Ps.Johannii matured it was becoming increasingly clear that it did not belong in that tank. Pieces of fins were missing. Scales were missing. I could see it chasing the others. New additions were so traumatized that they often would fall ill and die. I had been worried about it for months. It was time, so I took it back to the LFS and traded it up for a couple of more peaceful alternatives. The atmosphere in the tank has been much better since. Matter of fact the others are showng more spunk now that the big meanie is out of the picture. As well, I have more "peace of mind." It was worth it.

Lessons learned:
1. Listen to experienced folks on forums like this. In general, they know more than the LFS owner.
2. Yes, I know, the LFS owner "has been doing this for 20+ years" etc etc. That does not mean he/she knows it all.
3. Yes, there are exceptions, but don't plan to be the exception.
4. Aggression can begin overnight. You may come home to find out too late.
5. Trading in a "project fish" that you have becone attached to stinks.
6. Avoid impulse purchases. Know 100% what you are getting into.

I think this thread applies to many of us on this forum.We all learn the hard way sometimes it is just human nature.However I think really successful fish keepers learn from their mistakes and become better for these experiences and the reward is beautiful looking tanks with happy,healthy fish.Something to be proud of and something that gives hours of pleasure.

garfy said:
I think this thread applies to many of us on this forum.We all learn the hard way sometimes it is just human nature.However I think really successful fish keepers learn from their mistakes and become better for these experiences and the reward is beautiful looking tanks with happy,healthy fish.Something to be proud of and something that gives hours of pleasure.

Thanks for sharing! Those are some good lessons to learn!

Nice write up. Great information, I think we've all wanted to be the exception before. lol
A possible addition:

7. Quarantine new fish or at a minimum recognize that new introductions can bring disease with them.

HN1 said:
Nice write up. Great information, I think we've all wanted to be the exception before. lol
A possible addition:

7. Quarantine new fish or at a minimum recognize that new introductions can bring disease with them.

Good addition. I agree with labinator on everything else.

yup! I wish people would always come on here and do some learnin before they went out and bought fish. Well said Lab thanks for passing that on

Back
Top Bottom