All in one 'ready made' reef tank or tank with separate sump and equipment?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

geordieboi

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi everyone,

This is my first post and i'm just hoping for some good honest info as i have read hundreds of websites etc and still can't make a decision.

I had a FOWLR tank when i was about 20 but went to work away so only had it about 8 months ... i know the basics (what i remember) but i am going to start again as a complete novice because i want to go reef!

My initial request is for opinions on whether to buy a purpose built ready made reef tank such as the redseamax 250 (example only) or buy a tank and sump and customise the setup by choosng separate equipment.

both seem to have pro's and con's and i'm a little torn.

Any feedback would be welcome

thanks guys :)

I wouldn't definitely put it all together separate. The all in ones are nice but super hard to customize down the road.

If I could do one thing with my tank, it would be having it drilled. My CPR overflow does a good job, but it looses siphon every couple of months when the hole where the aqua lifter hooks on gets clogged with algae. I have the tank set up for this and it won't overflow...but it's a peace of mind thing along with it lowering my salinity, which I want to be as stable as everything else. Get a drilled/reef ready tank.

I have every type of setup right now, a tank not drilled with a hangon overflow, a few drilled tanks and an all in one. In my opinion, if you are just starting I would go with the all in one. Just make sure it is capable of keeping what you want to keep or you will end up spending more money. Lights would be the first thing I would consider and think about what if any corals you want to keep. AN all in one makes it pretty darn simple to setup and maintain and you typically get everything you will need, well, depending on the all in one you are looking at.
The red sea max is kinda an extreme example, it is capable out of the box of doing most anything you would want, it has a skimmer, a control panel, everything. lol

Thanks guys, i was thinking off going simple FOWLR first with reef safe fish so could then upgrade to reef once i get comfortable... i think this would be easier to achieve if i purchase an all in one. I just know in most walks of life an all in one can also be known as 'jack of all trades master of non' so didn't want the outlay to find its actually not all that!

i did some quick sums and it doesnt seem that much more expensive to get the all in one... do you know of any alternatives to the redseamax?

thanks

Get any tank you want and use glass-holes.com to buy a complete overflow kit on yours. I was scared to death to drill my first tank but a few friend cheap 30 gallons later and I've already drilled my 210 on the bottom glass(not tempered). It's the simplest thing I've ever had to do to a marine tank lol. Their overflows go through the back glass and very very few tank have tempered side glass. I haven't personally ever seen a fully tempered tank. I just ordered me a new hole saw from them so I can run dual tanks under my DT so I can completely dedicate my 40 breeder to a refugium only then overflow it into a 20 gallon for my skimmer and return section. So overflowing a 210 into a 40 then a 40 into a 20 then pump the 20 back to my 210 lol. It's going to be a lot of work lol. BTW I'm only doing this because I can't fit anything bigger than a 40 in the doors if my stand because of the bracing :( I'd have to lift the DT to drop anything larger in through the top

Back
Top Bottom