All Male Malawi vs Schools

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PrettyFishies

Aquarium Advice Addict
I'm interested in hearing thoughts on doing an all male malawi tank - (mainly Mbunas with some Haps) or doing a Male-Female "school" tank.

My main concern is that I'm not trying to breed fish and would rather not deal with the constant fry. I'm also concerned with creating a safe and comfortable environment, but would love to be able to keep more individual species in my 55 gallon.

Thanks in advance!

If you don't want fry you can go with all males. You will however have to have plenty of hiding spots, esp with mbuna males. The mbuna males are colorful. If you want colorful and a bit more peaceful, check out the aulonocara species. Males of course, females are usually brown.

The thing you need to consider is that most males may not colour completely if they don't have females to show off to.. You could always not worry about catching the fry and let the mothers spit in the tank?

Just a thought anyway.

If I do go the groups/school route - Is it better to have 1M/3F or 1M/2F groups?

I read that ppl keep a certain species of catfish to act as a natural fry predator - does this really make the difference? Are they compatible (the cats) with bristlenose plecos?

The other fish will be extremely good at eating them :O
I've always mainly kept groups of 4 minimum, but groups of 3 have worked fine also..

Males can be more aggressive when females are in the tank. It's true that some males may not fully color up, but I think there will be plenty color in an all male tank if you choose your species wisely. I've seen some gorgeous Peacock tanks with all males, as well as gorgeous Mbuna male tanks. If I could setup a Mbuna tank over again, I'd do all male. :)

I'd skip the Pleco. Sometimes Mbuna will eat their eyes out (vulnerable part of the pleco).....so its a gamble IMO.

If you want some catfish, get some Synodontis petricola. They need a group, so get atleast 5.

OK. One piece of advice was to get juvies, wait for the dominant male to appear, then return (or sell) the others. Any thoughts? Do you think starting with older males will be a big problem?

That's what i do.. But mainly because i am in a position to be able to get lots of 10 fry very cheap.. Admittedly I do really enjoy raising them up into my evil minions and culling out the adults i don't want.

The problem arises when i start adding new fish to the already established colonies.

Back
Top Bottom