All of my fish keep dieing, I'm ready to pack everything up?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

goldfishlover101

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
A 20 gallon was just sitting in my basement so I researched on fish for about a year before deciding to get any. I cycled my tank with ammonia which took 3 weeks. After 3 weeks I decided to add 1 fantail goldfish, 15 days later, he died. Then I bought 3 more goldfish after 15 days each one died within 3 days of each other. I just went out and bought 4 more goldfish and they probably aren't going to live long either. I'm to the point that I'm ready to pack the darn tank up! I heard that the rule is only 1 fish per 20 gallons but after awhile I got sick of that rule, because even when I had 1 goldfish, he still died. My fish also got ich in which went away almost completely and they still died. I have a strip test kit in which doesn't give me very accurate results but I'm trying to save up money to buy a liquid one but I don't plan on buying one any time soon. I also heard that when you add Ich Away, it destroys and kills the beneficial bacteria so now all that time that I waited for the tank to cycle, it's gone. How often should I change the tank and how much if I have 4 goldfish in a 20 gallon and the tank is not cycled? (One is around 3-4 inch, two are around 2 inches, and the other one is around 3-4 inches.)

I think the fish a to big for tank, hopefully spoonman will see your post and answer,also he has advice on cycling your tank ,it's had stay withit and you will enjoy it after you get past this.

I would try some smaller fish. Less bioload, so hopefully they wouldn't be too much for the tank. If you can.

Were you doing any water changes (weekly)?

I don't think the Ich Away would kill all the bacteria. I would have run some carbon in the filter for a week or so after treating or if you already have carbon in there, I'd get some new. Then do a water change of around 40%.

You are likely gonna see the fish you have now die or have problems because 4 goldfish is a bit much for a 20g. :( I would give 2 away and stick with just 2. Do water changes weekly of around 40%. Make sure your filter is a good one rated for atleast double your tank size.

Are you registering any ammonia or nitrite on your strips? I think the tank is still cycled...you might see like a mini-cycle where you have a spike of ammonia or nitrite, but not for long.

Also, when you change water, make sure you siphon the leftover food and stuff from the gravel. Then just take the water out and replenish with water of the same temperature.

You don't have a heater, right? Do you know what the temperature differences are from day and night?

I would try some smaller fish. Less bioload, so hopefully they wouldn't be too much for the tank. If you can.

Were you doing any water changes (weekly)?

I don't think the Ich Away would kill all the bacteria. I would have run some carbon in the filter for a week or so after treating or if you already have carbon in there, I'd get some new. Then do a water change of around 40%.

You are likely gonna see the fish you have now die or have problems because 4 goldfish is a bit much for a 20g. :( I would give 2 away and stick with just 2. Do water changes weekly of around 40%. Make sure your filter is a good one rated for atleast double your tank size.

Are you registering any ammonia or nitrite on your strips? I think the tank is still cycled...you might see like a mini-cycle where you have a spike of ammonia or nitrite, but not for long.

Also, when you change water, make sure you siphon the leftover food and stuff from the gravel. Then just take the water out and replenish with water of the same temperature.

You don't have a heater, right? Do you know what the temperature differences are from day and night?

I only have 3 goldfish now, another one died. Yes, I was doing 50% water changes every week.

Before I got my 4 goldfish (now I only have 3) the ammonia was at 3ppm so I did a 100% water change and took a lot of poop out of the gravel. The ammonia recently has not been at exactly 0 but at one point I was doing 50% water changes every 3 days because that's what the ich medication said to do.

I do not have a heater but I did put one in when I had my other 3 goldfish because of the ich, when I took it out the temp. dropped 3-4 degrees and when I put in new water the temp. changed 2-3 degrees. The temperature changes 2-4 degrees from day and night.

One of the things I didnt notice if you said that you treated your water with a dechlorinator. That is a must. And dont forget to use it when you do your water changes. Like hucklebuck said, check out the link in my signature about cycling with fish. I think it will help.

Back
Top Bottom