All Set Up, But Nervous

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sharkiegirl94

Aquarium Advice Freak
So recently i purchased a used 30 gal tank. I cleaned everything out including the filter which is a Tetra Whisper Power Filter 40 i believe. I have read a little information on the Nitrate Cycle, is it? I haven't used the filter yet because i need proper sized BioBags for it. No problem there. My question is how long does the cycle take to complete for my size of tank? While cycling, should i/can i run my filter and/or my airstone? Just don't want my fish dying is all...^^;

I'm going to purchase BioBags (large) today at Petco and hopefully test the filter.

sharkiegirl94 said:
So recently i purchased a used 30 gal tank. I cleaned everything out including the filter which is a Tetra Whisper Power Filter 40 i believe. I have read a little information on the Nitrate Cycle, is it? I haven't used the filter yet because i need proper sized BioBags for it. No problem there. My question is how long does the cycle take to complete for my size of tank? While cycling, should i/can i run my filter and/or my airstone? Just don't want my fish dying is all...^^;

I'm going to purchase BioBags (large) today at Petco and hopefully test the filter.

Don't buy bio bags with carbon
Instead get filter floss, sponges, bio rings, and purigen
It will take 6-8 weeks no matter the size of the tank
Run both your filter and your airstone
The point of cycling is to get beneficial bacteria on the filter
You need to provide the bacteria with pure ammonia

sharkiegirl94 said:
What are those you suggested instead of BioBags? Can i get them at Petco? Will they work with my filter? Sorry, I'm new to this.

Yes they will work with your filter
You should be able to get them at petco or online at petsmart.com or liveaquaria.com
Sponges,floss,purigen,and bio rings hold more beneficial bacteria than carbon

Back
Top Bottom