Almond Leaves

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Betta_Ruby

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I would like to know what people think of Almond leaves and are they beneficial for an aquarium. Hopefully I posted this in the right section. Thanks for any info.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I've never used them but have heard they can be useful.

I heard people don't use them cause of the tan tint it causes to the water. I really don't mind the off color, as long as my Betta is happy. The more closer I mimic his habitat the better.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Yes, almond leaves will release tannins into the water, which can lower stress in some fish. They also lower ph. They're beneficial for blackwater Amazonian fish like tetras and cories.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I am thinking of adding Indian Almond Leaves to my Betta's tank as well. When using them, does the color change of the water make it impossible to test with an API master test kit? If so, should I try to monitor the Ph some other way to make sure it doesn't go to low? How do you monitor other parameters?

I am thinking of adding Indian Almond Leaves to my Betta's tank as well. When using them, does the color change of the water make it impossible to test with an API master test kit? If so, should I try to monitor the Ph some other way to make sure it doesn't go to low? How do you monitor other parameters?

Test kits won't be affected at all :)

30g planted, 90g Oscar tank

Where does everyone prefer to get their Indian Almond Leaves? I found 1 local fish store that has them, but it's inconsistent and the leaves looked like they had been on the shelf a while.

I bought two of the plants so I can collect them myself. I don't get a bunch right now since the trees are still small, but I get enough for my shrimp tanks, and I know my leaves are safe since they are in my greenhouse.

Back
Top Bottom