Alternate uses for java moss

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I used to use matting and java moss to hide my intake tube on the HOB.

You could probably do the same thing with hairnets.

I just wrapped the matting around the intake and tied it down with fishing line, and them wrapped a litte java moss around the matting and more fishing line. It was awesome but I have switched to a cannister filter. Am probably going to do the same with the cannister intake when I have time.

At the very least, with java moss, you'll never have to worry about running out. Once it grows out a bit you can collect some and try all sorts of experiments with it.

I'd also heard Phoenix Moss was nice, but its been going on almost a year now and I've noticed absolutely zero growth from the time I put it in. :(

On a slightly amusing note, while I was cleaning today, I found one of those plastic fish baggies that I had thrown some java moss clippings into around the beginning of the summer. I had tied off the bag, and its still moist inside, but.......that small clipping I threw in there, is now a gigantic clump...Seriously, this stuff is freaking tenacious!

wow. wish you are near me heathB, I would buy that clump from you. LOL

Ha, yeah, I would if I could. I remember when I got the stuff I ordered, it was a clump about maybe half the size of my pinkie finger...It takes a bit to set in, but once it does, it can be about as prolific as algae.

It's been almost two weeks since my experiment! Java moss begining to sprout out of the hairnet now..starting to get that grassy feel.

img_1230752_0_bbaaab74bfe9243a7911292489854511.jpg

wow very nice...

alisha, is the rock you put it in, a lava rock, or a decorative rock will do? does it have to be a special rock?

Thanks! I actually found the rocks near a creek that runs behind my house. Just made sure they weren't limestone based (which can raise your PH), then washed them up well before I put them in my tank.

oh okay....cool. I have to go look over my father in law's place. their house is situated in a flood control area and the river is just behind their land.

in your own opinion though, will a moss thrive in a decorative rock?

It should grow just fine no matter what you put it on (I originally had the moss tied to an ornamental bridge). Java moss is a very prolific grower.

good to know....thanks....I will go to my prospect new LFS and see if I can get a java moss today. :)

Very nice! Love that last pic... It looks like you have 0 algae... are you cleaning the tank up before you take pictures for us, or have you just got that tank perfectly balanced?

Very nice! Love that last pic... It looks like you have 0 algae... are you cleaning the tank up before you take pictures for us, or have you just got that tank perfectly balanced?

+1...:-D it looks like it was professionally photograph too..very beautiful alisha....your plants is really thriving like crazy....very very very great job...

That tank (knock on wood) has been perfect since my last rescape. Crystal clear water and no alage to speak of. Whatever little there is, my ottos take care of. There is no rhyme or reason to what I am doing, but it's working I guess. I've been dosing Flourish comprehensive and Excel each week after my weekly PWC. Then once mid week I am dosing Excel and Florapride. I have the lights on a timer that runs from about 9 am until 7pm.

Now to get down some sort of pattern with my 20 gal...

Back
Top Bottom