Alternative to hornwort?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Angela1108

Aquarium Advice Addict
Ok- I have hornwort and anacharis in both my tanks. I am looking for another alternative floating plant to hornwort for my guppy fry and my RCS. I find that the hornwort can get really messy and kinda "drops needles" for lack of a better term.

I know anacharis doesn't do this but I like having a lite variety so looking for something else to go along.

Is guppy grass messy?

Imam sort of afraid of duckweed because I have heard stories of it taking over. Is it really that bad?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Water wisteria, penny wort are some stem plants that work as floating plants.

Duck weed does take over but what you can do is every week when you do your water change take half the duckweed out. Of course dispose of it carefully so that it doesn't find its way into water ways.

I do have wisteria already :) maybe I will chop some branches off and float it. (It is actually a massive massive plant in one of the tanks)

I will look into penny. Thanks! I never thought of floating a bunch of either. (I do it once in a while to make new plantlets)

I have used both pennywort and wisteria at different times. I actually used the wisteria when it became crazy in my tank and I trimmed the top off and left it overlapped it from several plants and it really good.

Water sprite is an amazing plant for growing floating. Will give plenty of space for guppy fry to hide in.

Thanks guys- I think I am just going to float some that I already have :)

Java moss would be good for hiding your fry if you dont also need something that grows that quickly. It doesnt quite float but a ball of it would do quite nicely in a bottom corner of a tank to hide your fry. Its also pretty hard to kill

Back
Top Bottom