Alternative warm-water schooling fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sinibotia

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey everyone, I know I've posted a lot since I joined but I really enjoy the community and I'm just too happy to be back into fishkeeping.

I finally got some fish today! I picked up four rams- two males and two females- and 5 corydoras paleatus. Once the rams pair off (I really hope I get a pair, anyway....), I'll remove the other two and find new homes for them. Then I'm planning on rounding the tank off with some kind of schooling fish to occupy the middle and upper spaces.

I could go the obvious route and pick up some neons or cardinals or any other "run-of-the-mill" tetras, but I thought I'd ask here and see if anyone has any interesting ideas; I'd like to try something new. Keep in mind that because of the rams the water is around 28 degrees so I know that narrows down what I can do.

Any ideas?

Actually neons are not ideal for warm water, rummy nose tetras go great with rams however

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Actually neons are not ideal for warm water, rummy nose tetras go great with rams however

Really? Huh, I didn't even know that and I've been at this a while! Then again, it's been a really long time since I kept neons. I've been considering rummy nose- the last time I had any was 7 years ago- but considering I wasn't keeping up with the hobby the past few years I wanted to see if there was something I haven't heard of before that I could try!

Harlequin rasboras are cool as are hatchets. Check them out
In the past I've had both marbled and silver hatchetfish, I do really like them.

The crazy thing is that in 11 years of fishkeeping I've never had any kind of rasbora, including harlequins. Before I left for college, my fish tanks were sort of a shared hobby with my mother, and there were certain fish she just didn't like. Since she had the wallet, she had veto powers over any of my stocking plans. Harlequins, for whatever reason, were on her "dislike" list.

In any case, I was under the impression that harlequins prefered cooler water, but I was wrong about the neons and it's not like I have experience with rasboras. Would they be happy at 27-28 degrees?

I have a harlequin in my tank. It's got neons and german rams so it's about 28degrees. (Use to be a few he is like the old wise elder in my tank.) he is fine Cruises everywhere.

do some mix-and-match and get some mosquito fish (they can happily handle warm temps)

Way too far north to find them, and I'm not planning a trip to VA to find any where I collected them last time.

have you checked any petstores? they are becoming quite popular. also, how far north are you? i thought they lived all they way up to canada.

have you checked any petstores? they are becoming quite popular. also, how far north are you? i thought they lived all they way up to canada.
I'm in Maine. And I'm a very avid fisherman up here, I have a pretty good idea what's around, and I've never seen a single mosquitofish up here. Not to say there aren't any, but if there are they must be few and far between. Definitely not in any petstores up here.

I'm in Maine. And I'm a very avid fisherman up here, I have a pretty good idea what's around, and I've never seen a single mosquitofish up here. Not to say there aren't any, but if there are they must be few and far between. Definitely not in any petstores up here.

oh, thats no fun lol. what type of schooling and aquarium worthy fish do you have up there? maybe you can do something native.

I'd rather the rams be left alone though, I'm hoping to get them to spawn. And I don't think I could find any mosquitofish around here, in shops or the wild.

another good fish for rams would be a scissortail rasbora school....thats all I could think of...
They are fairly nice fish.

I don't know your tank size but if you are really looking for something more exotic, I'd look at threadfin rainbows. (Most rasboras mentioned don't like it much higher than the mid seventies). I keep mine with Bolivian Rams and it is a stunning combination and adds real interest to the top and mid-section of the aquarium.

Beckford pencilfish are popular tankmates for rams and apistos in SA tanks. Very underrated and very pretty fish once they color up.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advicemyxm mzeN

Galaxy rasboras are gorgeous ?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Galaxy rasboras are gorgeous ?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Otherwise known as celestial pearl danios, not a warm water fish, actually quite the opposite..

Back
Top Bottom